Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illegal guiding in SW Idaho????

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by tedlyduckster, Feb 14, 2016.

1. tedlyduckster

tedlyduckster Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]
    Isn't guiding for waterfowl in Idaho still illegal? I'm hearing about a guide in SW Idaho at work. I know there were some grandfathered operations in SE Idaho, but this is in the Treasure Valley. Thanks!

Add

2. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

3. tedlyduckster

Thanks a bunch in advance , guys!

4. tedlyduckster

Matt,
    As that very article says, that action changes nothing until and unless the Legislature approves the action. And my research so far does not show that the legislature ever did so!

5. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

All you need too do is check the regs.... no more, "no guiding for waterfowl" in the regs.... my buddy's dad is a lobbyist, trust me it went through.... it was attached too some other stuff.... plus what's his name in Marsing is about 8 miles from my house, he has been doing for at least 2 years now, maybe 3, I think the F&G would have squished it by now, or you can take my word for it that it went through....
    Matt

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

It was approved by legislature and signed by Governor. As I posted up on the other site that you posted this up on, I knew this by heart as hard as myself and others whom you know over your way, fought against this, lost the battle against the Idaho Farm Bureau and state legislators. I am getting the law and will post it up. Look up Idaho Bill 597 from 2013 and that is what was approved. A few clarifications were made, but that is the guts of the bill. It is legal now and causing issues state wide from what I have heard.

7. goosepond

Got what I was looking for, but may get more info later. It is under the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board website, this link - http://oglb.idaho.gov/pdf/statutes_and_rules/2014-Revised Idaho Statutes 10-29-14 8x11.pdf and since it is a PDF file, do a Find and look for guide. This will take you to everything you want to know about this issue that so many fought against and lost. I think F&G is/was trying to get some clarification on a couple issues but haven't heard what for sure. F&G isn't at fault on this one nor is the IDOGLB. This one falls on the Idaho Farm Bureau and our great State Legislature who folded under pressure from the Farm Bureau.

8. tedlyduckster

That really stinks. A very large number of legislators are farmers, and it has always struck me that they should recuse themselves from voting on bills that could enrich them. They are SUPPOSED to do so, but rarely do.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Matt.

9. goosepond

At the time this was up for review by the legislature, the IWA, myself, Bryce Cook, and others spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get folks to get this vetoed but it didn't happen. In fact we got a lot of pushback on trying to get it stopped, but that is water under the bridge and it is what it is now. We have to live with it.
    But, since it became law, the F&G had to put something in their regs about guiding so here is the link to their regs/statues to cover their back sides even though they didn't agree with it either.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title36/T36CH21SECT36-2103.htm

10. cnegeese801

cnegeese801 Senior Refuge Member

Please help me understand what the farm bureau is going to gain from this.... they think they will make big money. Just wondering