Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illegal guiding in SW Idaho????

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by tedlyduckster, Feb 14, 2016.

1. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

You hit it on the spot. That's what so many were really wondering at the time and still wondering. At the time, the Farm Bureau said it was a property rights issue and that a private land owner, on his own land should not have to have a license to outfit and guide some one on his/her own property. The only ones that it sat well with were Idaho's legislators who were farmers themselves and when I looked at what kind of money the Farm Bureau put into those legislators pockets during campaigns, for Idaho, it was sizeable money. Go figure.lol
    If I remember correctly, very few actual private land owners even testified for the bill compared to those opposed, including the Fish and Game, Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board. Multiple sportsmen testified against it and we submitted a petition with over 500 signatures, all Idaho Sportsmen, on it to them and it still went through. We even had a couple of legislators we thought in our pocket to vote against it and they turned when it came down to the actual vote.

So, what does the Farm Bureau get, the Idaho Legislators in their pockets once again for money and who knows what all. For example, I talked multiple times to my local Legislator, Steve Bair to try and convince him to vote against this. No luck and here is what he gets after all the dust settles - Senator Steve Bair, (R-Blackfoot) District 31, has received the Idaho Farm Bureau Federation’s (IFBF) “Friend of Agriculture” award. http://senatorbair.com/ Oh ya did I say he was a farmer too!!! Don't say money doesn't buy our legislators.

2. cnegeese801

cnegeese801 Senior Refuge Member

Well thanks for clearing that up and I'm sure there are a lot of kick back we will never know about. One hand feeds another

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

About 15 years back here in Idaho the F B was suggesting that leasing land for hunting was another way for ranchers and farmers to make more income. Leasing land in many sates is big money

4. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Leasing land is not the same thing as outfitting and guiding. Not even close. Leasing was already legal and occurring in Idaho in lots of places. This is exactly what the IWA was trying to get across to people. There was zero need to increase guiding and outfitting for waterfowl in Idaho. If a landowner wants to make some money off his private land he was able to do so and did not need to be a "guide or outfitter."

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

You are correct.

The interview I heard the FB representative did talk about leasing to guides and outfitters, big game, and waterfowl
    I believe it was from a Twin falls radio station and the FB representative was from SW Idaho.

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

For example, I know of at least 2 situations here in SE Idaho where individuals are now, or should I say continue to "guide" on private land and the private land owner doesn't get a penny for letting it happen. So, based on what the FB's stance is and was, where is the money in the private land owners pocket? None and that defeats what they claim should happen. And in these two cases, the private land owner doesn't even have a clue about what the laws are about outfitting and guiding and couldn't care less about it. But, yes, that is up to the private land owner so what changed on the money side of things like IFSteve said? Not a thing, illegal outfitting and guiding has gone on in Idaho for years and will continue to go on and nothing can be done about it except for impacts to those of us who would love to enjoy hunting areas that they have tied up.