Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois 2018

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by LAWigeon8323, Jan 8, 2018.

1. LAWigeon8323

LAWigeon8323 New Member

I'm from Louisiana and have never hunted Illinois before. My brother (not a hunter) lives outside Chicago and I'm entertaining the idea of a trip north during the 2018-2019 hunting season trying to throw in a hunt - specifically targeting big canadas. Are there any good general areas that somebody can scout and find permission to hunt during the later season or is it a better idea to find a outfitter and book a couple of days to target them? Not looking for any specific spot information but any help is appreciated.

2. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Chicago is a big City, be more specific on your brothers local, and how far you are willing to travel

Jon C likes this.
  3. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Book with a guide ......you're probably not gonna freelance anywhere around Chitown

P

Buckmark311, DarrenDuck and Jon C like this.
  4. LAWigeon8323

LAWigeon8323 New Member

He lives around Algonquin. I'd be willing to travel up to 2-3 hours for some action. I usually try to avoid using guides wherever possible but I feel like I might not have a choice here. Southern Wisconsin might also be an option I suppose.

GK1 and DarrenDuck like this.
  5. SOILHunter489

SOILHunter489 New Member

I'm honestly shocked that a Non Resident Hunting license is cheaper in IL than it is in Wisconsin. Sorry I don't have more input on the matter. Other than IL is not that pleasant of a state at times!

6. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

zero private freelance opportunity anywhere around Chicago. Its populated and ppl will fight to grab a field. Heck ppl even fight over public spots. Book a guide, try public or look to swap a hunt with someone on here.

DarrenDuck likes this.
  7. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Kinda tossing this out there blind, but maybe a guide service in Braidwood ?

Jon C likes this.
  8. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

Like mentioned you are probably better off to trade a trip with someone. If you are hunting in January see if anyone around braidwood would trade with you. Assuming you have local hunting/fishing to offer them.
    If it were me I would only swap with someone that has a pit, not a layout field. A heater in the pit is nice. Late season can be cold.
    "Earlier" in season stay north of rt 80 in the north zone, unless there is a lot of snow cover on the fields in order to push the birds down into the central zone.

Jon C likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

I have never hunted there but it looks like Porters hunting club slays birds and seems to run a nice club.

10. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Refuge Member

I work with a guy whose younger brother is a guide for Porter...I know a couple of weeks ago he went up and worked and I guess they killed their birds every day. He guided for about ten days this time. My buddy should be going up there within the next week to ten days to hunt with them. He speaks pretty highly of the whole operation.

Jon C likes this.