Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois 2A Issues

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by drylok, Feb 4, 2010.

1. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

Here is the current contact information for our reps and senators.
    House
    http://www.ilga.gov/house/

Senate
    http://www.ilga.gov/senate/

Those who care to participate if you don't mind post up who your rep and senator is just so we can get a grip on what congress persons we can cover off this forum.

My representative is Chapin Rose my senator is Dale Righter.

2. drylok

The bills are rolling out of the house and senate. So far I've found 2 bills related to 2A.
    House Bill 5172 is regarding the transportation of firearms in the center console.
    You might recall that just this fall the IL Supreme Court ruled that the console or glove box qualifies as "other container" in The People vs Diggins. This bill is an attempt to reword the language of the transportation law to make it illegal again to transport firearms in such a way.
    Please contact your rep and senator and tell them to vote NO on HB 5172.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bil...0&GA=96&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=50114&SessionID=76

3. drylok

This bill I guess we'd put on "good". On one hand it's pointless and the FOID is unconstitutional in the first place, but we are where we are and until we abolish the FOID in a few years I guess we might as well support all the good changes they make on the damn thing.
    Please contact your rep and senator and tell them to vote YES on HB 5166

Synopsis
    Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that the Department of State Police may petition to revoke a Firearm Owner's Identification Card if the Department finds that the card holder is, or was at the time of issuance, a person whose mental condition was determined, following a complete evaluation by a psychiatrist or a physician pursuant to the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act, to pose a clear and present danger to the card holder, another person, or the community, (instead of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card may be revoked if the Department finds that the card holder is or was at the time of issuance, a person whose mental condition poses a clear and present danger to the applicant, others, or the community based upon a reasonable belief by a physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner). Provides that a revocation petition is heard in the circuit court in the card holder's county of residence. Provides that the State's Attorney may participate in the hearing, present evidence, and take a position on the petition. Provides that the court may revoke the card if it finds that substantial justice would be done by a revocation and the card holder is a person whose mental condition poses a clear and present danger to the card holder, others, or the community. Provides that the circuit court's decision is subject to appeal under the Code of Civil Procedure (instead of the card holder appealing the Department's revocation of the card is subject to administrative review in the circuit court). Amends the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Confidentiality Act. In provisions concerning disclosure of mental health records to the State Police, provides that a mental health facility may disclose to the State Police records about a person whose mental condition is manifested by violent, suicidal, threatening, or assaultive behavior, for which there is a reasonable belief following a complete evaluation (instead of reasonable belief) by a psychiatrist or a physician, (instead of by a physician, clinical psychologist, or qualified examiner) that the person poses a clear and present or imminent danger to the card holder, others, or the community. Makes other changes.
    http://ilga.gov/legislation/billsta...0&GA=96&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=50108&SessionID=76

4. drylok

When the house and senate are in session and we know we have a bill that's going to be read on a given day you can watch or listen to the debate on the floor by going here

http://www.ilga.gov/house/audvid.asp

There's a place on the IL ga site you can go to get an idea of what bills are going to be debated from day to day but our NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde keeps us very up to date on what to expect and when to make the calls. As he gives me that info I'll post here so we can all get our calls in in a timely manner and then make time to watch the floor to see how the votes go.

5. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

just wondering how the foid is unconstitutional

6. drylok

We should not have to get a permit to exercise a right. It reads "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
    Besides there are only 2 states in the country that have such a card for simply allowing the ownership of a firearm, I don't see why we need it here.
    I'm confident that after the McDonald case we will be going after this act and those who have renewed their FOIDs in 09/10 have done so for the last time. :tu

7. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Unless you cannot read and comprehend the 2nd amendment to our constitution...............don't want to get banned, so I've omitted what I originally typed here!!!!

Hitler instituted a similar firearms registry before he started WW II. Prior to invading Poland, which started the war, he used the firearm registry to disarm the country/private citizens. IMHO, that's all the FOID is. It's a way to keep track of firearms owners in "The Peoples Republic of Illinois"!!!!! Then in some "unforseen" emergency, the "jackbooted thugs" will come to your door asking for your guns. IMHO, the government, on any level, has no business knowing whether you've got guns and/or ammo in your house or not!!!!!

8. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

who has been disarmed? and im not saying i like the foid card because its a pain in the azz, but i dont see it as unconstitutional.

9. drylok

It falls as an infringement in my eyes. There are a number of cases when people have filed for the foid and it's taken months to get it back leaving them unable to legally possess firearms. The law states that the foid must be back to the applicant 30 days after the check clears. If it's not then the illinois state police is breaking the law.
    Also too many folks are getting their foids denied because of things like DUI, minor charges not related to firearms and in a lot of cases not even violent crimes in any way. Besides it's none of the state governments business who keeps arms. It's almost like firearm registration.
    Not too mention that the vast majority of people who are committing the crimes like the gang bangers in Chicago, don't even know what a FOID is but they're all carrying guns.
    The only people that gun laws or any law affects are law abiding people.

10. drylok

Thought this was good a place as any to encourage fellow IL fuge members to acquire your out of state CCW permit so you can exercise your right when in the states that your permit is acknowledged.
    Currently I have the PA permit which is good in I think 16 states for non residents of PA including IN and MO. Simply fill out the form, make a copy of your DL and FOID, enclose a check for $26 and a self addressed envelope and send it to the address. I got mine in about 8 business days.
    If you get the Utah permit it's good in 30 and Florida is good in 20 some.
    It's important for Illinois residents to get their out of state CCW because the other states keep records of how many they issue and to what states. So we can acquire that info and disclose it to members of congress here to show that Illinoisians are serious about exercising their right to bear arms so they can affectively defend themselves in the event of a dynamic critical incident.
    Get Your Pennsylvania Permit Here
    http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp

Get Your Florida Permit Here
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Get Your Utah Permit Here
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/ccwapp_004.pdf