Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois General Assembly 2nd Amendment Update From Vandermyde 7/11/13 a.m.

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by drylok, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

Drylock, I am a CCW permit holder in MO and I have property in IL. Can I now drive to my property with my loaded gun in the car with me or do I have to wait until the ISP sets up the CCW provisions. Thanks.

2. johnjcb

johnjcb Refuge Member

Here is a short description of the process for electronic fingerprinting:

With electronic fingerprinting, there is no ink or card, your fingerprints are "rolled" across a glass plate and scanned. It is faster and cleaner than the traditional method. Electronic fingerprinting reduces the likelihood of illegible fingerprints or missing information on the fingerprint card and will reduce the overall application processing time.

Florida uses them for residents today and other states are adopting them as they are easier to analyze electronically than the ink type.

3. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

This is still prohibited.

4. DagoDucks

I am quoting from the Post Dispatch today "licensed out of state carriers will be allowed to drive through Illinois as long as the weapons stay in their cars". So it appears it will be allowed and I go back to my question of is it legal now or do I have to wait for some magical date?

5. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Again it is prohibited! What part of no reciprocal do you not understand? Illinois does not honor any out of state CCW permits!!! The only way you can legally transport or carry a loaded firearm is with A) residential CCW permit B) non resident CCW permit, both of which are not yet available! It is illegal to transport any loaded firearm in the state of Illinois by residents/non residents!!!!

6. DagoDucks

e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 b
    Public Act 098-0063
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

Guys, maybe you need to read up on the new bill!! This is not recipricoty. Which part of my original question didn't you understand. Drylock, when you get a chance could you please advise as to when this will be legal. Thanks.

7. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

Thats a giod question. The law is in affect as of 2:20 this past tuesday so om inclined to say now but let me check

8. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

With all the uncertainty still around this you might want to read this which is on the Illinois State Police Website:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

9. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Dago, read what you originally asked about:

Can I now drive to my property with my loaded gun in the car with me or do I have to wait until the ISP sets up the CCW provisions. Thanks.

If you want to transport an unloaded firearm and ammunition I would suggest doing so in a locked case and ammunition in a separate case/compartment, but transporting a loaded firearm is illegal in Illinois! Now what part of transporting a loaded firearm is illegal do you not understand? Just because you have a CCW permit from BFE does not mean anything to Illinois! You can transport firearms all you want BUT they must be UNLOADED!!!!

10. DagoDucks

Since Zuess is evidently unaware that the law has changed and that Illinois does now allow a loaded firearm to be transported by a nonresident CCW holder I will do my best to inform him that on Tuesday July 9th at 2:20pm Illinois instituted its own last in the nation CCW law. Within that law known as Public Act 098-0063 in Section 40 paragraph e states:

Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

I appreciate Wildfowl giving me the link to the ISP site. However I believe that info is from September 2012 and not reflective of the changes in law. I did send an email to the link on that page and I am awaiting a response. As Wildfowl also said "with the uncertainty around this law" I adressed my question to Drylock. Why? Because he seems to have the most comprehensive knowledge of this matter and I know when I get an answer from him it will be the correct one.