Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois General Assembly 2nd Amendment Update From Vandermyde 7/11/13 a.m.

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by drylok, Mar 24, 2013.

1. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

It does not have to be locked and the ammunition does not have to be seperate from the firearm. Never has

2. drylok

Update From Vandermyde 7/11/13

Ok everyone is asking all kinds of questions. You're not going to get them answered in this post.
    The night before, we got word about the ?AV? amendment and with Molly and Mike sitting by my side I stated working on it.
    Looked like we would get the big stuff killed off and that the attendance was a go for the override.
    And Tuesday was a bit hectic as we went through the motions and worked to keep track of what was happening on the amendment. So it was a bit busy as the liberals are butt hurt over having to pass a carry bill, and the preemption we got in the bill. The Chicago directive is a major win in how far it goes.
    Leaving the capitol around 4pm made it home around 7. Phone calls most of the way and listened to Governor Jello throw another hissy fit.
    So we still have some work to do, and as you can see by the legal wrangling still busy. All of that was being worked out leading up to the override. With us having to provide details of the bill and override votes.
    So today is going to be a day with the family since yesterday was a lot of talk with lawyers.

More after I decompress a bit, but know this, we got the better of these guys and they know it.

3. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

I know but it was a suggestion since he is a non resident and our current leader er dictatorship hates firearms....

4. johnjcb

johnjcb Refuge Member

When I read the law it appears that non-residents that have a valid CCW permit from another state may carry a loaded firearm in their car as you go across the state. You may not leave your car with it loaded.

I would worry if stopped by police and they ask you to get out of the car you are now in violation. I also would be concerned that most officers are not totally familiar with the nuances of this new law and you may be in for a problem. Nothing that would not eventually sorted out but it could waste a lot of time for you. There is a possibility that the officer may see the weapon if it is on your person as you reach for your wallet. If it is secured off your person there should be no worry as they cannot search your vehicle without your consent.

5. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

Quit reading into it! It states that a concealed firearm can be transported within vehicle but it does not state that the firearm can be loaded! Yes we have had a very select few States Attorneys say they will not prosecute but unless one is confident they will not be arrested or can afford to fight the state then one should not be transporting a loaded firearm (transporting a loaded firearm is not really a safe way to transport a firearm) or concealing a firearm loaded or unloaded... As it has been stated many times on here if you want to conceal carry feel free but you are at your own risk until it is law and have the proper credentials to do so....

FYI.... I did happen to speak with Mike Unes, and have done so on many occasions in person, and he advised me to do exactly as I stated... Until one has the proper credentials it is to risky to conceal as it could jeopardizes ones chances when the proper credentials are actually obtained.

Remember just because a city or county police officer stops you does not mean that the state will let you go! Once the call is received of a person(s) with a concealed weapon has been stopped one can almost guarantee that a state trooper will show up arrest said person(s). Remember who we are dealing with here and that it has been a long battle to get to where we are and with CCW being this much closer why risk jeopardizing it now

6. johnjcb

johnjcb Refuge Member

I agree with Zeus that it is not worth the potential trouble.

I do believe the intent when they say concealed firearm is that it is loaded.

7. drylok

concealed firearm as defined in the law is a firearm loaded or unloaded that is concealed or mostly concealed from view of public. The bill became law at 2:20 Tuesday afternoon and it went into affect when it became law. Sure they're implementing the application process but it's still in affect.

8. tomme boy

tomme boy Senior Refuge Member

What about the AWB?? I heard one of your towns passed a AWB???

9. johnjcb

johnjcb Refuge Member

Drylok -- Do you have any information on what the steps are to add reciprocity with other states. I know this was removed from the original House Bill. I would think this is an easier route than the current court case to allow carry in accordance with the law with a FOID card.

Also Thank you for all your behind the scenes work on our behalf.

10. TEAM_US

TEAM_US Senior Refuge Member

Any updates you can give us? Or is nothing really happening?