Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois HB 1465

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by riverrat47, Mar 3, 2018.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ful...=1465&GAID=14&LegID=101955&SpecSess=&Session=

How will this affect waterfowlers? As I don't trust the corrupt Chicago area one iota, I think this could possibly cause lots of problems. 1) Shotguns that hold 6 rounds are considered assault weapons, thus can't be sold to anyone under 21. You may say, well, my semi-auto only holds 5. Well, I remember a few years ago, an importer was selling dove/trap loads that were 2 1/2" long, or less. You could get three in the tube with a plugged shotgun, thus you'd be able to get 6 in an unplugged semi-auto. Do we really want to let them make inferences that these are assault weapons and illegal for those under 21 to own? I think not. And, what happens if your 19 yr. old is out hunting alone with your SBE, and it can possibly hold 6 rounds? He didn't purchase it, but he's in possession. 2) While there is an exemption for the use of extension tubes DURING the Conservation Goose Season. Even if we clear the earlier problem, if your teen is driving to the field for opening day, BEFORE legal shooting time, he'd better not have that extension tube on the gun. He will legally have to remove it BEFORE the end of the season. So, if he's hunting the last afternoon, he'll have to quit and remove it BEFORE the end of legal shooting time. Plus, can he even be in possession of an extension tube except during the Conservation season?
    If you think there aren't over zealous cops, prosecutors and judges out there who are drooling over this bill, I think you will find you are sadly mistaken.

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hate reading those things.....dry & hard to understand but did I read that correctly ?
    It's ok during the Cons. Order Snow Goose season ?

So, 305 days out of the year, little Johnny CAN'T have that gun, but 60 days out of the year he can ? Little Johnny will be on "gun down a bunch of people" hiatus during those 60 days but the other 305 is when we'll have to be his babysitter and say he can't have it ?

riverrat47 likes this.
  3. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

But, if he's driving to the field, just minutes before hunting season starts, gets pulled over for having a leadfoot, he is a felon. Must also address the problem of the capacity of semi-autos. My 3" 11-87 was just shy-maybe less than 1 1/4" from getting that 6th shell in the magazine tube-using 2 3/4" shells. Those shorter shells, which ARE available, could make JR a felon, year around, if he runs into an aggressive officer. Just things to think about with this bill. Besides, if they decide that these weapons are dangerous assault weapons in the hands of an 18 YO, how long before they decide they are too dangerous for the rest of us?

4. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe they are trying to encourage a start-up business to rent magazine extensions to hunters unter 21 for the conservation season.........

Honestly though, this is just a poorly written and even more poorly thought out mess!

Jerry likes this.