Illinois Honker Limit

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Lslu60, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

Curious as to why our honker daily limit is 2 , when Indiana , Missouri, Wisconsin , Iowa , and Minnesota are 3 birds a day in the regular season .? Doesn’t make much sense to me and will It ever change ?

Jon C and auto5 like this.
  2. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

If they change it here we will get a shorter season I bet.

Danny

goosehunter64 likes this.
  3. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

For a number of reasons I would like to see Indiana would go back to a 2 bird limit .

4. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

Your right it doesn’t make sense. We should be at a three bird limit. Wisconsin and Indiana have forward thinking state bios to thank for that...IL not so much.

goosehunter64 likes this.
  5. zeus

zeus Elite Refuge Member

There's a lot more to it than just a bag limit! I would much rather have a longer season with a lower limit than a shorter season with a higher limit. Rarely is anyone going to go out and harvest 3 geese. Hell we hunt geese hard and are near a few refuges and the river yet we only harvest limits about 50% of the time. I am also willing to bet Illinois harvest more geese with a 2 bird limit than Wisconsin and Indiana with a 3 bird limit. Just be happy & appreciate the freedom that you can still hunt!!

goosehunter64 and Jon C like this.
  6. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

Could be wrong but I’m pretty sure the surrounding states that border Illinois have just about if not a better number of days to harvest Canada geese and still allowed 3 . Im in central Illinois and tons of people I talk to wish it was a 3 bird limit

7. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Illinois had a 3 bird limit back in the day, and the season was long. I hunt a lot and feel 2 is plenty, however I understand those who don’t get out much wanting more.

Catch 22 in my opinion, Pros and Cons on both sides no doubt.

Jon C likes this.
  8. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

I like the length of the season in central zone...I would not want to trade the length of the season to add another bird to the limit. Keep the same season and add another bird to the limit now I wouldn't complain about that.:dv

DuckyPhe likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Screenshot_20180714-143810.jpg

DANNY NEWELL and goosehunter64 like this.
  10. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

IL and WI were the last two states in the Mississippi Flyway that harvest a significant number of Canadas and remained at a 2 goose/day limit. This is primarily because these two states still kill a large proportion of migrant Interior (MVP, breed along the Hudson and James Bay coast) geese, a population that has experienced a long slow decline. In all the other states Temperate Breeding Population (TBP, i.e., resident giants) make up the vast majority of the harvest. Goose regulations have liberalized significantly in the last few years to give states more flexibility in managing abundant TBP geese. 3 geese/day is now possible without shorter seasons. We are maxed out on days in the North and Central zones though.

WI let IL know they were going to 3/day this year, but we were too far along in our approval process to make a change and still get our selections to US Fish & Wildlife Service on time.

There is better evidence now that we could increase limits without harming future opportunity than ever before. That is, overharvesting the population that still makes up 40-50% of our statewide harvest, Interior MVPs. It is not a certainty, but I think there is a good chance bag limits could go up for 2019-20 season barring any drastic changes in Interior numbers counted this spring/summer.

bullpinnie, auto5, riverrat47 and 6 others like this.