Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois Right To Carry Legislation

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by drylok, Mar 8, 2011.

1. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

5/18 Update:
    I have no clue what the hell is going on. :doh Nobody is saying a word about what happened last night. :scratch
    The good news is, that when the leaders get that tight lipped it's ussually good news for us. They're just trying not to let loose lips sink ships.

jre-Good post and I concur :tu

2. drylok

3. brreed82

brreed82 Senior Refuge Member

No, but he's the worst kind of anti. The pseudo sympathetic "meet you half way" type.

He doesnt want to take guns away, just restrict them to the point its nearly criminal to use them.

I forget how it was worded, and who to credit; but a wise man once said...
    Compromise for these folks is a place somewhere between the current laws and complete disarmament.

4. drylok

So he's just your average douche bag. Got ya thanks

5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info 82!!:tu

6. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Today, the state Senate Executive Committee passed House Bill 3500 by a 12 to 0 vote, with two absent. Sponsored by state Senator Kirk Dillard (R-24) and introduced by state Representative Richard Morthland (R-71), this legislation was originally introduced as a firearms preemption bill, but was amended to incorporate a necessary reform to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to ensure that the personal information of people who have applied for or received a Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) shall not be disclosed unless it is necessary as part of a criminal investigation. HB 3500 is expected on the Senate floor this coming week.

7. drylok

Yep 3500 should sail through the senate so atleast we'll have that situation resolved. I think I have the gist of what's going on with 148 and what the game plan is but I'm not sure I am at liberty to discuss it just yet.
    It's nothing Earth ****tering but I'll wait for Todds permission before we talk about it.
    Remember 148 is still alive and can be voted on any time. We are post Heller, post McDonald, Shepard vs Madigan is filed and there are other cases pending as well. + WI is going to pass their shall issue or constitution carry bill in June.
    Again I'm sorry we were 3 votes shy of the super majority and I feel bad that I got you guys all wound up only to be disappointed. Try not to be though cause even though we didn't bring home the bread it was still a big victory.

8. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

The Illinois Senate voted this morning to exempt the names of Firearm Owner's Identification card holders from the state's Freedom of Information Act. "Every state police director believes it is a law enforcement nightmare to release these names into the public domain," proposal sponsor Sen. Kirk Dillard, R-Hinsdale, said. "These names clearly have a constitutional right to be kept private." The measure passed with a vote of 42-1 with two senators voting "present." House Bill 3500 arose out of a FOIA request by the Associated Press for the names of all FOID card holders in the state. Attorney General Lisa Madigan ruled that the names be made public. The House passed the proposal on April 8. It now lands on Gov. Pat Quinn's desk.

9. drylok

And that's that :tu

10. drylok

To correct something I said earlier about the two lawsuits. They can not be merged and I didn't know that. Here's some commentary from one of our members who is a brilliant constitutionalist and epic on constitutional law.

"I think this two-suit strategy might actually be a very wise approach. I was reading John Richardson's blog (No lawyers, only guns and money) and he noted that since the NRA suit was filed in the southern IL district court, and the SAF suit was filed in the central IL district court, these two cases cannot be combined.

That fact may turn out to be good in the end ... each case as it moves up will be subject to different vagaries of argument, different briefings, different panels, etc. Ultimately, I suspect that raises the overall chances of success. Moreover, defending against two will cost the state more $$, which always comes into play in these cases.

Ultimately (regardless of how the courts rule), how carry proceeds in IL will be up to the legislature to define and contour ... and two cases bring more leverage when working with the legislature"