Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Illinois Right To Carry Legislation

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by drylok, Mar 8, 2011.

1. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Hy dryrot:dv...what you take on Williams V Maryland and the SC and what it means to the Ill. lawsuits.

Also check out Wi V Pinnow where a judge ruled the Wi. ban on CC was UNCONSTITIONAL.

2. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

This will help with Illinois crime:l

3. powerstroke

powerstroke Senior Refuge Member

any fresh intel drylock?

4. drylok

drylok Elite Refuge Member

Uh, letting Shepard vs Madigan sink in a little and get some teeth. Try to pursuade about 6 or so legislatures that it's not worth the tax payers $ to go to court and maybe we can convince them to run 148 again in the veto session.
    I didn't know that bills other than vetoed bills could be voted on in the veto session but I guess they can.
    Remember that this is a two year session and since our bill is on motion to reconsider it can be brought back at any time up till Jan 13 2013.
    This is a fight we have and will continue to fight on four avenues. Legislative, judicial, electoral, grass roots awareness.

5. drylok

I guess I can add, here are some things that are being considered but they are not agreed upon, written or even drafted.

May issue
    Shall issue with a carve out of the city of Chicago ONLY
    148 as currently written
    Shepard vs Madigan is ruled in our favor and as a result if you have a foid you can carry. I don't know how that would affect non residents though.

6. drylok

This is Vandermyde today. Make of it what you wish.....

There has been a lot of discusion about compromise or may issue on HB148. most will note that I have said very little in these threads about the whole issue.

There have been informal talks about how to proceed with members of the general assmbly. But we are not in the habit of negotiating against ourselves. We have told legislators there are some things that we will not accept. There has been some talk of may issue. But like most thngs, when you tug on or change one part of a bill like this, it forces changes on a whole list of issues within the bill.

That being said, no one has come back with a proposal to change the bill with a comitment for the needed votes.

The leadership of Illinois Carry, the ISRA and I met to go over options. in general we are all in agreement about where we are and how to proceed. We will consider any proposals that are brought to us, but we are not trying to rewrite the bill on our own just to see if we could pick up more votes.

I won't debate all the technicalities of what changes like may issue would do, as to many lurkers from the otherside pop buy here to learn what is going on.

Right. Now two federal lawsuits are pending. We see no reason to try and muddy up the litigation, just for the sake of trying to pass a watered down bill that would create more legal issues than it would solve.

So now we turn to the courts and the new map to see how we can improve our situation.

7. drylok

Completely forgot to mention this but yesturday the IL supreme court accepted the appeal in Wilson vs Cook. This is the case about the semi auto ban in Chicago aka "assault weapon" ban.

Good Luck Chicago Gun Owners :tu

8. drylok

Hey guys,
    I guess Rose, Mitchell and Brown are introducing a new carry bill 3897 or something like that. It would give each county the ability to enact their own shall issue system.
    Don't get wound up about this, I think it's just grand standing on these 3 reps part. Such a law if passed I fear would do damage to our law suit but on the other hand I don't care to go to the places that would opt out anyway so I'm neither supporting nor opposing this bill. What do you guys think?
    I just don't think this is going to happen in the legislature we just need to be patient and let Shepard vs Madigan play out. Things are expected to heat up on the case in January.
    Just wanted to give you a heads up on this thing Rose and them are doing.

9. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

I just think that every gun owner here is this once great state should be writing their local papers.......editorials, letters to the editor etc. and be showing non-gun owning folks "in print" how these "gang bangers", "druggies", "rapists" etc. have no fear and that the cops are not and cannot be our protectors. Site specific examples and cases, give links etc. so folks can research themselves. Don't bash, but be straight forward, logical and as brief as possible. We aren't gonna sway these folks by berating them.........that's really hard for me to say also.........because I usually call it like I see it.........a spade is a spade is a spade!!!!:tu

10. drylok

Yes we need those kinds of things to win hearts and minds. You guys get on the editorials, we've got something we're cooking up in local government. We'll share the details when we are at liberty to do so.

I smell a brush fire smoldering ;)