I'm clueless

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by yeehaw, Dec 18, 2016.

1. yeehaw

yeehaw Senior Refuge Member

So here's the pickle. I've wanted a cool camera for YEARS and I always threaten to buy one but never do. All of my basic research said Nikon or Canon with the standard 18-55mm plus pop for the 70-200mm lens as well. I'm thinking $500 price range. Well my wife was directed to Creve Coeur Camera but a photographer friend of ours. She told them I'm a hunter and we have 3 boys in sports so most of the pix would be action stuff. She came home with a Panasonic Lumix G that comes with a shorty lens, apparently will take two different brands of lenses, and they said it was "mirror-less". There is one free class I get to learn how to use the dang thing. Supposedly this thing, plus a warranty was over $1000. Should I take it back and tell them to get bent, or did she do good with this purchase? I have no dang idea what I'm doing here.

2. DStimac

DStimac Refuge Member

I think you will be better off with a Nikon or Canon dlsr. You will have a lot more control & options. I would not rush into any purchase before carefully reading reviews and deciding exactly what a camera is capable of.

3. Matagorda Bound

Matagorda Bound Senior Refuge Member

The mirrorless Lumix Gs can be a decent choice. They have fans. But it's sort of like getting a hunting dog as a present. That's the sort of thing you need to pick out for yourself. No offense to the wife.

Also, if you got the standard kit, you got screwed on the price. You can get them on Amazon for $600: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=photo&field-keywords=lumix+g. As a rule, brick and mortar camera places are going to really, really screw you on price.

My humble suggestion to you is to carefully research what you want and then research the prices.