I'm concerned, but should I be?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by jzoo, Jun 19, 2017.

1. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Hi guys, long story short....my father in law is building a house on a 140 acre sandpit (max depth is 53 ft) Lake was stocked 11 years ago by the homeowners association when it was only about 40 acres. There is very little cover/weeds in this lake, only one shoreline has decent cover where they haven't dynamited the banks yet. Nobody fishes this lake as there are only 4 houses on it right now.
    My concern is, there are no little bass. 2 of us pulled 44 bass out in 3 hours yesterday, only 6 were between 12-15". 15 between 16-17" and the rest between 18-21". They weren't super skinny, but not pigs either, the 21" were weighing about 4.8lbs range.
    Also, there are only 19 spawning beds in one little spot, no other beds around the entire lake.
    Do I have a justifiable concern?

2. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Put in golden shiners for forage food

jzoo likes this.
  3. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

They've survived to adulthood without your help.

Those 19 beds are likely bluegill beds. Bass are not colony nesters. Bluegill=food.

4. jzoo

Yes they sure did, but i'm wondering if they are not breeding or having to eat there own to survive due to the lack of little fish?
    How deep will bass bed? I can see 6ft down clearly, and there are zero other beds in this lake (shallower than 6ft).

5. Bullet21XD

Bass will spawn as deep as light penetration allows. Clear lakes they'll spawn in 20ft of water if conditions allow.
    And, whether there's available food sources or not, bass are cannibalistic.

But, as you posted in your original post, i'd say the fish are doing very well. If there was a shortage of food or overpopulation of bass, you'd catch a higher % of smaller fish. Sounds to me like there's a good food source available and they are living well.

6. Bullet21XD

Not sure of your location, but i'm in MN, and our LMB spawn is long over. Bluegill spawn after LMB. So it's not suprising you aren't seeing bass beds.

7. jzoo

Ok, just didn't know how long the beds would stay visible.

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Again,don't know your location but Largemouth will spawn from April to August in a lot of Western lakes.Try fishing for gills and if you catch them your lake should be ok.It also sounds like there might be a good population of crayfish in this type of lake.

9. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

If you want to improve cover conditions a little, cut bundles of brush, wire them together and attach a brick or block and sink them in the shallow water. It will provide cover for fry.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Back in Ohio we would gather up discarded Christmas trees, drag them on to frozen over lakes and wire them together with block weights with #9 grape wire. Ice thaws they sink to the bottom and provide habitat. We used to place small culvert sections for Channel cats to nest in. Easy and works. Good idea to plant minnow species for bass food as was posted.