Impossible task, can you do it?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by CA Hunter, Jan 10, 2019.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I know you can, but still funny
    https://www.foxnews.com/tech/watch-2-adorably-clueless-teens-17-baffled-by-a-rotary-phone

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Most teens aren't able to write in cursive (except maybe their signature), most can't read an analog clock, most can't write a check, most can't make change.
    The list is almost endless as to what they can't do. But we spend more $ per kid for education than any other country in the world.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

While it is a moronic display, at least that is an obsolete technology that isn’t an actual useful skill. It’s akin to me manually crank starting a car, my grandparents may have needed to know how to do it, it had no impact on me to not know how. Eating is useful however...

4. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I'll go out on a limb and say 90% of all 25yo "men" can't quarter a chicken.

5. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Face it fellas....we are dinosaurs. Kids today can do things with technology in seconds that we can't seem to catch on to no matter how many times they show us. I have seen my grandkids fearlessly tackling a problem on a cell phone and a computer that I just know if I try it....it will blow up!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I hope our kids can reason things out and solve real-world problems.

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Can you read the Latin? Probably not and they can't write in cursive for the same reason you can't read Latin they don't teach it anymore! Obsolete technology that nobody needs or uses.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have to deal with technology more than I would like. I am working with a friend at his office, and he has a different system than I do, and it is not at all intuitive for me. There is no logical reason I can see that I have to "click this to do that."

And while my 8 year old daughter often has to show me how to do something on my phone, I am hoping to instill some degree of common sense in the general mechanics of the physical world... Which all too often seems to elude the up and coming generations...

I get why the rotary phone was confusing to those kids (very entertaining to watch)... A can opener though? Turn it over and look at it; see where the blade and groove are and put some common sense to use.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

People are evolving into machines. Eventually human consciousness will be uploaded to the internet. Being that machines will solve the humanoid problems of long distance space travel, the Earth’s machine armies will spread through the universe like locusts, devouring every planet’s resources. What will be interesting is if there are already other machine species out there. The potential exists for epic intergalactic machine wars.

10. Socks

Socks Senior Refuge Member

Yep. No reason at all to know how to read things like the constitution or the magna carta for ourselves. We'll just let others tell us what it says. Oh and Latin is still taught in high schools and colleges.

Vahunter and WHUP ! Hen like this.