Impoundment Water Supply Design?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BULL SPRIG 88, Jul 12, 2017.

1. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

I'm trying to develop a way to design an efficient water delivery system for a possible impoundment on our farm without drilling a well or using a trash pump given how long it would take to fill. We have a pretty reliable creek in close proximity. So here's the question... If we were to install pvc piping from the creek (elevation 58') to a low "pool" in the impoundment (elevation 54') with an inline check valve... obviously the low "pool" would fill with water given gravity. The kicker is that the remainder of the impoundment would not be dug to an elevation of 54' and would in all reality be more like 62'-64' which is above the elevation of the creek itself. So... I guess the question is once the remainder of the impoundment fills to an elevation of maybe 55'-56' at the approximate elevation of the check valve, does the "static" pressure of the water inside the impoundment reach a high enough level that water will no longer gravity flow and keep filling the impoundment? Basically... do you think the check valve would shut with only 2'-4' of falling water pressure from the creek when there would be static water inside the impoundment resisting the incoming water? Below is a crude sketch of what I am referring to. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure that the "low area" should fill to the same level as the creek. The check valve only keeps the water in the impoundment from flowing back into the creek should the level of the creek fall below the level of the impoundment. Without the check valve, the water level in the impoundment will always be at the same elevation as the water in the creek.

JFG likes this.
  3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Refuge Member

And before you start taking water from a creek you will probably want to talk with the Army Corp or whoever has jurisdiction over the creek and the flow of the creek. I have heard of some very significant fines for those that have taken from a creek/river/stream without the proper authorization. Not sure where you are located but I would definitely check that box before you invest a lot of time or effort here.

I am no engineer either but it seems the water would continue to flow (although likely slowed when impoundment is filled) with that elevation drop. If you need more water at that point may need to pump it.

Good luck.

4. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

There is a way to siphon water from the creek into the impoundment, but I'm not sure exactly how that is accomplished or what the limitation is on elevation differences between the source and the output. That option might allow you to fill your impoundment to a higher elevation than you can achieve through gravity flow?