In answer to BBB

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, May 29, 2018.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

BBB
    There are some pretty good decoy flockers out there, all have their own method.
    The following was a first and only attempt so far for me, but it has worked out so far.

I washed my decoys first. Brass wire brushed any loose paint.
    I used Rustoleum oil based flat paints for flock adhesion, tho I'd use satin or even gloss Hunter Green on drakes heads doing it again.
    I used this paint for the base on the hens that can be got at Cal Stores. IMG_1435 (1).JPG
    All paints were mixed to taste, but can't remember exact mix with this yellow, but White to tone down the deep yellow, and a touch of brown.
    The dark colors on the hens were a mix of brown and black to a "Wet Coffee Ground" color.
    All the paints were mixed to match overlaying flock applied later.
    When applying paint, be ready to apply flock on it as soon as possible before paint becomes tacky. No more than half a decoy when doing the main base colors.
    I took a spray nozzle at 30-40 PSI at about one foot off decoy to drive flock into wet paint as soon as applied...seemed to help with flock adhesion.

Applying paint on molded feather detail. This is the key!
    I used an airbrush very sparingly, and only for shading for the most part.
    I had to invent a glorified 'Paint Pencil' to draw on the detail with the sharp lines you see in the flock.
    A small plastic sewing machine oil bottle with long nozzle filled with desired color.
    Went to Cal Stores to the 'Animal Health' dept and bought the smallest two size hypo needles that fit over long nozzle on oil bottle (Needle cut down to half inch long with leatherman file)
    The hypos just slide on trimmed bottle nozzle perfectly
    IMG_0995.JPG
    Well, that pretty well sums it up other than the source I used for the actual flock, and that is
    http://www.flockit.com/
    Good luck.
    IMG_0985.JPG

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

:tu:tu:tu Nice job .......

snipe n likes this.
  3. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Birdhouse !