In need of a good book

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by Bux&dux, Jun 8, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

DARK ESTUARY.. BY BB DJ WATKINS PITCHFORD

THE BEST WATERFOWLING BOOK EVER WRITEN IN MY OPINION.:tu

2. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

3. baglimit

baglimit Senior Refuge Member

Ameritopia - Mark Levine

it will make ur head spin

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Tales of a Rat Hunting Man
    by D. Brian Plummer.

5. English Pointer

English Pointer Senior Refuge Member

You won't be able to put this down

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Light...41008148/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1/275-6411115-5227335

Geoffrey Wellum

Career
    1921?1942
    Aged eighteen, he signed up on a short-service commission with the Royal Air Force in August 1939. The first aircraft he flew was the Tiger Moth at Desford airfield in Leicestershire, after successfully completing the course he then went on to fly the North American Harvard at RAF Little Rissington with 6FTS.

He was then posted directly in May 1940 to 92 Squadron, flying Spitfires. He saw extensive action during the Battle of Britain. His first Commanding Officer was Roger Bushell, (later immortalised in The Great Escape), and his close colleagues included Brian Kingcome

Flight Lieutenant Brian Kingcome , commanding officer of No. 92 Squadron Royal Air Force and his wingman, Flying Officer Geoffrey Wellum, next to a Supermarine Spitfire at RAF Biggin Hill, Kent, 1941.
    He claimed a Heinkel He 111 shot down on 11 September, and a quarter share in a Junkers Ju 88 downed on 27 September 1940. Two (and one shared) Messerschmitt Bf 109s were claimed 'damaged' during November 1940. A Bf 109 was claimed shot down on 9 July 1941 over France.[4]

In February 1942 he was transferred to 65 Squadron based at Debden, being appointed a Flight Commander in March 1942.

On 11 August 1942, Wellum led eight Spitfires launched from the carrier HMS Furious to reinforce the fighter complement at Luqa airfield on Malta. Here he joined 145 Squadron on air defence duties before being rested after a severe bout of sinusitis.

6. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

7. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

I would suggest "A Rough Shooting Dog" by Charles Fergus.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Shooting-Dog-Reflections-Uncivil-Places/dp/159228857X

The story is about a hunter and his year-old Springer Spaniel. I actually called the author one night to complement him--I had Springers back then--and talked to his wife for awhile.
    I really enjoyed this book... whether you hunt behind flushers, pointers or retrievers chasing waterfowl or upland birds. It will resonate with anyone that loves hunting dogs.
    Two thumbs-up.
    --Tim

8. Rl21856

Rl21856 Refuge Member

Game Warden: Chesapeake Assignment by Willie J. Parker is a very good read. I read it twice two winters in a row. Very easy read collection of short stories.

9. jeffc

jeffc Senior Refuge Member

I have "The Model 12 Winchester as a Way of Life" on order. John Hewitt is a great writer so I have high expectations. See it at:

http://hoppercreekpress.com/books/

Jeff Churan

10. chasin mallards

chasin mallards Senior Refuge Member

Willie J. Parker has another book called "Halt! I'm a Federal Game Warden". I have both and it looks like Halt was publish in 1977 and Game Warden in 1983. I read both many times during high school.