In praise of the Beretta A 300

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Jan 12, 2018.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I own a Beretta, 391, A 400 and an A 300.
    I won the A 300 at duck dinner. It is a plain Jane, black synthetic. I thought it would serve as the perfect back up shotgun to keep in camp in case my or a friends shotgun has a problem.
    I took it out at the beginning of this season to try out and have kept using it as my first choice gun ever since. It fits me better than my A 400, it is easier to clean than my 391, It patterns well and shoots to point of aim, it has not failed to cycle, and I have been shooting ducks and geese very well with it. It only shoots 23/4 and 3 inch shells which is fine with me since I have not ever fired or felt I needed 31/2's. (Many years ago I did some of if not my best duck shooting ever with Kent 23/4 11/16 oz. of #3's)
    Dicks Sporting Goods had synthetic camo, A300's for sale for $599 which was one of the best recent shotgun deals I know of. Bud's Gun Shop has them for $623.
    I like my A 300 so much, I am planning on selling my A 400.
    For anyone looking for a new gas auto, check out the A 300.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Bought mine and never looked back. I loved my A 390 but gave it to my Son who loved it too, watching him shoot and enjoy it makes me happier than if I kept it. I shot my Auto 5, Japanese, for a couple of years but had to baby it or totally screw up the beautiful wood. I realized what I really wanted was a boat paddle gun I wouldn't have to baby in the boat or in the blind. The 300 looked like a good prospect. I didn't want a thousand dollar gun, didn't want a Stoger either and then I discovered a low priced Beretta. Made in America too! Did a lot of price research. Got a great price, one hot August day that worked out to just below $500. Summer sale, mis marked by 20 bucks lower than advertised and they honored the tagged price, and BP had additional 20% off if you opened a new BP card or used your existing card. Also a Beretta merchandise rebate of $75. I love the gun. Took the spacers out so the stock was shorter. Fits me nice now. Love the true point of aim ( my Auto 5 shot high) handles dove load and heavy goose load in the same day literally. We hunt geese in a field that also has doves, so we bang doves and when we hear geese, scramble to reload . . Never a hang up recycling. Disassembles easy. Few parts. And its a Beretta. :tu

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

My A300 has taken over from my Browning Gold Hunter and my Extrema2 as my go-to duck gun. I simply hits ducks better than it has a right to, and has become dead reliable.

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Tuleman,

Yes kind of nice a gun that cost 1/2 or more less than high end autos does such a good job.
    A blue collar special.

I like the narrower forend of the A 300 compared to my A 400. Feels livelier in my hands. The receiver being a 3 inch may be shorter too. I would measure but my A 400 is at the duck club.

5. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

1. My A390 D/U Silver Mallard is a great gun, the only thing I dislike is the safety being located on the front of the trigger guard. I'm used to it on the rear of the guard any fumble around trying to find it.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  6. Smon

Smon New Member

Checked each of the stores listed for the A300, but not seeing any deals on them. Was looking to pick one up as a gift since I like mine so much. Best price I see is $623 from Buds. $599 would be awesome for the camo one

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Also probably unrealistic. Cheapest I've ever personally seen a camo A300 is $699.
    Bud's price of $623 really IS a deal.....

Smon likes this.
  8. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Wait. The A390 is a hump back? I shoot the round back Beretta. Hmmmmm

9. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

I've never been happy with how my A400's stock felt on my cheek. I checked out an A300 recently and liked how the gun felt. Really considering the A300 but I'm afraid I'll regret it.

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Do any of these berettas have a kit where you can move the safety from the front to the rear of the trigger guard?