In The Shadow Of Greatness

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Irishwhistler, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Refuge Member

Aye Mates,

I recently took this photo of me companion gun dog TRAD and his wee pup ALLIE MAE. TRAD just turned 4 years old and ALLIE recently turned 4 months old. TRAD has been an outstanding gun dog and family companion and ALLIE MAE is exhibiting all of the traits I love to see in a young gun dog recruit. ALLIE has been formally training with me for a month tomorrow and her development has been transformational. ALLIE is really coming along nicely on basic obedience with her SIT, RECALL, REMOTE STAY, DOWN, and PLACE now being conditioned on verbal command, whistle signal, and gestural cues. We have worked with her from early on regarding maintaining visual focus on her trainer and handler and she is spot on in that regard. ALLIE has been introduced to birds, decoys, calls, water, vehicles, crate trained, and is currently being conditioned to gunfire. ALLIE has a nice natural retrieve which will be further solidified with HOLD and FORCE FETCH conditioning after her adult teeth have come in. ALLIE will be collar conditioned.

Training objectives will be to cross train ALLIE to hunt both upland birds and waterfowl proficiently and to continue her training as a family companion dog in making her a pleasure to live with in the home environment. ALLIE is being well socialized to people and other dogs and shows a great temperament and a calmness about the home whilst not in work mode. In the presence of birds she has demonstrated a high predatory drive that will translate into grand hunting abilities as further cultivated via training.

This is a pup to keep watch over and I will update on her regularly. ALLIE is a British Lab and was sired by HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH and is out of TTF BIRCH BRANCH MAGGIE, both British field bloodlines Labradors. I have already had a number of inquiries as to when we might be doing a repeat breeding. Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    ALLIE and her Dad TRAD, the fruit falls not far from the tree.

Cheers,
    THE DOG WHISTLER

Buttesmacker likes this.
  2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

That had me smiling. :tu

3. Irishwhistler

Thank ye kindly Jim.

Irishwhistler

4. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Senior Refuge Member

And me.

IW, she looks a cheeky little Madam, you'll have some fun with that one; all the best.

Eug

5. Irishwhistler

Aye Eugene,
    Long time Mate. ALLIE is a gem with fur. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

What's your definition of "greatness" ?

7. Doc E

What's your definition of "greatness" ?

8. Irishwhistler

DOC E,
    Certainly the term "greatness" is subjective and means different things for different folks. For meself, t'is a gun dog with lot's of heart, the perseverance to not give up unless recalled off of a retrieve on which it is sent. The adjectives, biddable, intelligent, dependable and loyal come to mind. Technically I think of a retriever that marks well, handles on blinds well on both land and water, is steady in the face of most challenging distraction, and has a great nose and tracking ability when in search of downed birds and in pursuit of cripples. A dog that lives for the outdoor world that I love as much as his or her owner does. A dog with solid health clearances in the event that one wishes to breed him or her. A dog that is highly obedient and that is a treasured companion that one can take almost anywhere and be welcomed. A dog with incredible bird drive whilst afield and an "off" switch in the home. A dog that is proficient in the hunting of upland game birds and as proficient in the hunting of waterfowl. And a dog that was highly reluctant to leave my side whilst I was facing a life threatening illness. A dog that makes me as happy to be with him or her as the dog is to be with me. All of those attributes sum up "greatness" for me.

Irishwhistler

Mac5pack likes this.
  9. Doc E

Excellent description.