increase the 25 shell limit

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by dsilsby, Aug 18, 2014.

1. drake~slayer

drake~slayer Elite Refuge Member

I say increase the number of shells. This way all the skyscrapers will keep the Birds moving off of the refuges and Into my club which is close to LDC

2. Scott h

Scott h Senior Refuge Member

X2.........but if people would not constantly shoot at out of range birds more would decoy the way they should and close birds = more kill shots, but since everybody is willing to scrape to keep others from getting shots, they are not only wasting shells and crippling birds that are never found, they are doubling the shell waste by swatting them on the water at long ranges and taking a chance at pelting other hunters with low water shots, stupid compounded with greed plus lack of courtesy equals 90% of refuge hunters. The refuges could be a lot more productive if people would tone down the b.s.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

More, or less shells, won't stop skybusting.

Personal ethics, self control and enforcment of rules will stop skybusting.

4. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Reasonable solution: Facilitate skybusting. Eliminate the shell limit and set up ammo sales concessions at the refuges with deliveries directly to blind sites. The number of ducks shot won't change, but DFW will be rolling in cash within a month. :yes

5. Joelocalguy

Joelocalguy Senior Refuge Member

Is there a law against skybusting?

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I have asked this question many times.. and I think the answer is no..there is not law that stated how far you can or can't shoot a shotgun at a bird...

If I want to go out there and shoot my 25 rounds at 300 yard birds, that's my choice..

But it could fall under unsportsmenlike conduct..., but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that..:scratch

I don't think you will ever see a GW sitting out there trying to range find someone shooting at high birds then write a ticket that would hold up in court..

Same as a guy shooting at big game at 1000 yards or more.. is there a law on that...no ????

Bottom line it comes down to ethics, sportsmenship, respect, of both the fellow hunter and the game/fowl/birds and really how you were raised and taught to hunt..

7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Then we're half a step away from game, set, match, and we're losing.

8. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

The amount of sky busting i saw done at honkers and cormorants this morning makes me wish sometimes it was a 25 shell limit on all public ground... Would have needed intercontinental ballistic missiles to knock those geese out of the stratosphere... 2 honkers aint worth it.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

If the law actually creates a fear of taking out more than 25 shells, then it will at the least make some people a bit more cautious about taking all those high shots...

In recent years, hunting both refuges and clubs, I actually think the high shooting at many clubs is worse than refuges, and I would say the shell limit is part of that reason...

I would far prefer to take as many shells as I want, and enforce an idiot rule (public or private)... Won't happen, so I guess we will have to settle for the 25 shell rule.

During the late season goose hunt, we saw volumes of shells being shot at geese well over 100 yards high.... Luckily, much of the shooting was at birds too far to even injur.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  10. Favaloro

Favaloro Elite Refuge Member

Shell limits are not gonna stop sky busting. That's the person at hand. I know some guys that will only shoot 6 shots an outing. But they take reasonable shots. There's always someone educating birds. Which sucks. If everyone shot the birds at 30 yards and closer. Then hunting would be a lot better I believe. She'll to bird ratio would go up. And I don't blame the sky busters. Everyone that hunts has pretty much had someone help them get into the sport and understand the sport. If that person pulls the trigger at high heights the person that is new at it and learning will prob do the same. Also the shell companies trying to get the fastest most potent round they can to be lethal at longer distances doesn't help as well either.