Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Individual States Allowed to Continue Setting their own Regs.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by chcltlabz, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

It seems that congress has decided that individual states have the right to determine their own regulations for non-residents. :dv

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Legislation allowing states to continue regulating the sale of hunting and fishing licenses within their borders has been signed into law by President George W. Bush.

The legislation, sponsored by several Western lawmakers including U.S. Sens. Harry Reid and John Ensign of Nevada, was in response to a 2002 federal appeals court ruling that said states that put a cap on nonresident hunting licenses must do so in the “least discriminatory” way. Versions of the bill were passed by the U.S. Senate and House, and then attached to an emergency appropriations bill for defense, terrorism and tsunami relief signed by Bush last week.

The bill’s hunting provision states “it’s in the public’s interest for any state to be able to regulate wildlife programs within its boundaries, including by means of laws or regulations that differentiate between residents and nonresidents or the amount of money charged.” It further says such restrictions don’t fall under the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution.

The law follows a ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in an Arizona lawsuit filed by three New Mexico outfitters who claimed license restrictions on nonresident hunters were discriminatory.

2. yuk

yuk Guest

Well, isn't that special!!!! :clap

3. Pintail_Punk

Pintail_Punk Senior Refuge Member

I've got mixed feelings on this one.....Living in MD, I think it's great for us local hunters. But as someone who also buys non-res licenses in DE, VA, and PA I'm concerned with no limit to what each state can charge will price me out of some of my hunting opportunities. I just don't want to see it abused by the states.

4. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Good point. As stated above, people hwo actually get off their butts and go elsewhere to hunt, are losing out here. MD has a huge economy based on outfitting and non-resident hunters....DUH!

5. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

This is a bad thing . States could abuse it and already have . Its a shame about the DE/MD recipricol agreement being stopped this year . In the end it costs the hunters in both states more money . Now what if DE decided to up thier fees to MD residents ? In the end the hunters are on the recieving end in a negative way . Whoever you are next time you leave your state to hunt a neighboring state or take a trip to a distant state your gonna get hit in the pocket . Its alomost like professional athletes . Everyone of them thinks they are better than the next guy so they want a bigger contract . Lets call it the T.O. syndrome :yes

6. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Here in the Mid-Atlantic area it's not too unreasonable, and I support the fees at the levels they are now (although it has the potential to get out of hand). Out west it is, in some instances, unreal.

I've hunted some western states and paid well in excess of $1000.00 for a big game license to hunt on federally owned lands. The same license would cost a resident $100 or less. It's not just unfair, it's just plain wrong. Those lands were paid for with all of our monies, and the wildlife on them was preserved with all of our efforts. If the DNR draws it's entire revenue stream from license sales, why should OOS hunters carry the lions share of the load?? Since local taxes make no contribution to the Department's wildlife division non-residents are being "taxed" at a much higher, discriminatory rate.

I also think the "backdoor" tagging of an amendment to a tsunami relief bill is wrong. Politically, those congressmen supporting the amendment know that the president can't veto that bill. It would make him look uncaring, and the press would have a field day exploiting that. They also know that their amendment wouldn't pass on it's own. I wish this type of law making would stop. Each law should stand on it's own merits...not backdoor it's way into code.

7. JJ McGuire

JJ McGuire Elite Refuge Member

good points!

8. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Those of you who think that non-resident license sales create more revenue than in state sales need to take a closer look. The ones I've looked at aren't even close.

Also, those of you who complain about the cost of an out of state license, did you know that cost before you chose to hunt there? Bet you did, and you still went. Could it be that it was worth it? If you don't like it, hunt at home.

9. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

chcltlabz must be on house arrest or something :confused: Sounds like you never ever leave a 10 mile radius :l Dude I know you have left the state at some point in time during your lifetime for the purpose of fishing or hunting .

But like I said your on the other side of the bay so its a little harder to relate than if you lived in Delmarva your entire life . You spend most of your days in the field close to home where there is not a state line running directly through your home range . But rather the Chesapeake Bay where you spend your hunting time on the western shore . Nuttin wrong with that at all but again apples and oranges .

10. Pintail_Punk

Pintail_Punk Senior Refuge Member

Sure it's worth it...would a week long trip to Saskatchewan blasting specklebellies be worth it? Of course, but doesn't mean I can afford it.

The point is there is no check or balance for the state and they may charge whatever they want without a justifiable reason. That makes me nervous....I'm not a rich man :cry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.