Inky Redheads

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Rubberhead, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Hunting on the lower east coast from a 14’ jon boat, I don’t kill a lot of redheads but killed one a handful of years ago that had a dark, inky red head. I noticed it but didn't think much about it.

[​IMG]

A friend that hunts from a scull boat sent me a picture of a similar bird he had killed this past season. I reviewed some of my redhead pictures and found one, maybe two, in a photograph in a flock of 12 that I photographed during a cold spell a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

2. Patodor

Patodor Refuge Member

Was is the pigment in the feathers or do you think it could have been "dyed" by it's environment? The darker drakes in the photo above, especially that one in the center (unless its just the lighting), appear to be darker overall. I've noticed birds shot in areas with more turbid water or softer bottoms often wind up a bit rusty.

3. Wild Rice

Wild Rice Senior Refuge Member

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

That's a good point Patodor. I had forgotten about it but a taxidermist friend of mine believes that there's two subspecies of redhead - one that's the size of a big scaup and one that's a double size bigger. Maybe there's some work here for a budding graduate student.