Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Inporting Ammo

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by DesertWings, Aug 7, 2016.

1. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

Can someone answer a question...Looking at NRCan (Natural Resources Canada) site as well as RCMP site, it states importation of up to 5,000 rounds is legal for personal use...another site listed importation of 200 rounds... Want to be legal at the border.. Thank You.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

interesting. It was always 200. You can bring more, but pay a duty. Sometimes. Usually they don't care.

API likes this.
  3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Typically this is what happens for hunting purposes. Not sure on the exact details, but there is some provision for competitive shooting that allows more shells to be brought in.

4. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Duty is (or at least was) 5 cents per shell for each over 200 or 1.25 per box/12.50 per case. But I say buy your shells after crossing the border. Readily available and accessible with your 909 Form. Help out the provincial economy. The only time I would worry about bringing ammo is if I shot a 16 or 28ga. Very very difficult to find shells other than for 12/20 ga guns. BTW, when you buy shells at small town hardware stores or local co-op you frequently find yourself in a conversation with a nice local guy who knows all the local farmers in his area and drives to and from the store twice a day. They know where the birds are lots of times and frequently will provide names of farmers.
    FYI, airline rules are 11.5lbs of ammo in original cardboard boxes. Cannot pack ammo in same container as firearm. Obviously, you cannot take ammo in your carry on. Have fun.
    Tom B.

5. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

Thanks everyone for the info... still wonder about differences from border (200) and NRCan/RCMP site info???

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Buy them up there...the exchange rate is good right now.

7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Your standard 3"steel loads (Kent Faststeel, Win Xpert, Fed Speed Shok etc) are running from $18 - 23 CAD up here now, That would translate to about $14 - 18 USD.

8. greeny87

greeny87 New Member

Well maybe I should import a few cases back into America when I decide to come back. I could really save some money there.

9. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I crossed the border today to run over to the duty free shop (I only 6 miles from a crossing) to pick up some Patron. I asked the Canadian customs fellow about ammo allowed for hunting. He said he thought its 500 rounds and to check the RCMP web site.

10. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

So when you checked the web site for the authoritative answer, what did it say?

Tom B.