Interdigital cysts

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Brushbeater, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Brushbeater

Brushbeater Senior Refuge Member

IMG_0189.JPG I have a dog getting trained currently and was contacted by the trainer for an update yesterday. She let me know training is on tract but advised me that the pup has what she believes is an interdigital cysts. I gave her approval to take the dog to the vet for me and get it looked at and for possible treatment. My question is has anyone felt with this problem before? What was the corse of action that was taken for the problem. I attached a pic of the "possible" cysts.

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

I can't tell for sure if thats what it is from the picture. I have had several dogs have them, with one in the last month at the trainer. I used Cephalexin for a round and it went away. That's what it does if you are lucky. The other dog had it happen about 4-5 times with 1-2 years in between. One vet I asked who was into field dogs, and he said the only way to get rid of them was surgically, but my dogs never got that bad.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

My dogs have had them a few times. The last one was in Sept and took awhile to heal. Needed to keep it dry but he kept licking it, which led to losing the hair around it and no healing. Wound up needing to keep it wrapped with an elastic bandage and kept it as clean and dry as possible. Knowing how much of a difficult time I had with this last one and seeing your dogs is 2-3X bigger, I'd pull him out of training until it healed properly. I would think that it'll take a month to heal and I personally would rather care for it myself and not burden the trainer with the responsibility to care for it.

4. bigdog MN

bigdog MN Senior Refuge Member

Last 4 dogs have had them to varying degrees. One would have 3-4 bouts per year. Been told it was from broken hairs under skin, starting to think it is something in the soil of my yard since vet does not see it that frequently. Like was posted above a course of Cephalexin is what has worked to clear it up but often they have to be on it for a month. Usually starts after the dog is at least a year old and frequency diminishes after 7yrs old. Usually on top of paw between toes, sometimes opening up to a hole. The current dog had them on the bottom side which is anew twist.