Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Interested in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by jeffy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jeffy

jeffy New Member

I have been lurking on this site for some time, finally decided to join so I could contribute. My main reason of joining is the Canada section, as I am planning a trip in 2018 for the fall. My main interests are in snow/speck field hunting and a field Mallard hunt. We will be going around the 2nd week of Oct, although my time is not set, we can go and stay as long as we want. From all the research I have done ( COUNTLESS HOURS) it appears that in all hunting, timing is everything, just as it is here in Oregon. A couple of questions.....Never being there, is there "specific" geographic areas that you can hunt the above mentioned species, or is it just a crap shoot? And field decoys for Mallards, is a large spread required? Hopefully I'm not going against etiquette, as I am new. Thank you for any information. I have included some photos of what we do in Oregon. IMG_3297.JPG 12523118_992268717534122_4370804269508755352_n.jpg 10940597_806022482825414_6078395500365137802_n.jpg

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

3 words.
    Find the birds.

After that, the rest is gravy. As mentioned, timing varies. If the birds are there, put them to bed in the evening, set up in the morning. Goose dekes work as well as mallard dekes, and do double duty.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The best duck decoy is a goose decoy. I'll always have goose decoys out when hunting mallards and pintails. I think they can be seen from a distance, and when you put a couple dozen mallard shells among them, they act as greet confidence decoys. If you are deciding on locations, I would stay away from my area. I am not being protectionist. With all the heavy rain this spring, there are only about 2000 acres seeded in the entire Carrot river valley. There are farmers with 10 sections of land that have not planted a seed, nor will they this late in the year. There will be nothing to hold the birds here in the fall, and they will stage further south, I am certain. Your timing is good. I would suggest SK or Alberta for the best speck and snow hunting.

4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

If you want ducks, specs and snows eastern Alberta might be a good bet and not a bad drive. Call a conservation officer and let him know what you want to target and they can give you a better idea where to concentrate your search. Good luck

ih2ofowler likes this.
  5. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

This will be an interesting year, as many, many farmers didn't plant a seed, as bang youre dead said. I hunt about 8-10 hours south of where he lives and it is still the case. As pressure has been getting worse the last few years, it will be even worse this year, concentrated around where the few planted fields, are, which is where the birds will be. Be open to hunting with other guys you run into, might be a necessity this year. I have never seen pressure in SK like I did last fall. Hunted first and second week of october and ended up having to send a guy to sleep in the field each night just to make sure we got it.

6. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

What does this springs planting have to do with the OPs fall of 2018 trip ???

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Gee, maybe we missed that. Good for you for spotting it.

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I would ask.....aren't you using the sticky at the top for freelancing questions anymore?

9. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

I have over 40 yrs experience free lancing the SK and AM prairies for waterfowl. I'm now 71 and no longer can be the lead guy on leading a group of hunters. However, I could be the "Coach" for a group of younger hunters. And I will pay my fair share of the expense which is really not that much especially w/ the high American dollar vs the low Canadian dollar. I have a countless number of farmers who will grant us permission to hunt their properties and these are farmers where us free lancers have priority over the professional outfitters. I know all the hunting places like the back of my hand. Please PM me w/ your email and phone # and I will call you for the intro and specifics.

I am relocating to the CA and OR border area later his year.

Slick

10. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

I did miss that, my mistake.