Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Interested in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by jeffy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. RAININDUCKS

RAININDUCKS Refuge Member

Hey Bang, I know you are a ways north of Oak Hammock but do you know if its been as wet there. My group is planning our annual trip but haven't talk to our Canada friends in a while. They are retired and travel a lot. The area we hunt north of the marsh some of the locals call it the bog. It doesn't take much rain to make tough or next to impossible. I believe Chris Benson works or lives in that area. Maybe he would now. Thanks for any info.

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Hi RAININDUCKS,
    Yes I work at Oak Hammock for Ducks Unlimited Canada. It has been wet around Oak Hammock of recent, however I think most fields got planted in the spring. As you probably know if we get any wet weather most of the roads around the marsh are mud and turn into real mudholes and travel is impossible unless you walk. To the OP, no real specks come into the province on the east side. Snows can also be hard to come by most years. If you want those you have to go west.

For those others planing a trip to Canada and want a starting point. Here are some DUC properties that are open to hunting http://www.waterfowling.com/hunt-locations/

3. RAININDUCKS

RAININDUCKS Refuge Member

Thanks Chris you're a good man. Always enjoyed anything you post. I didn't realize you work for DU and at the marsh. We stop by there every year we come up to take a look and buy a souvenir. Maybe we'll run into you one of theses times. If you don't mind me asking what is it you do there?

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Always happy to help!

My position here at Ducks Unlimited Canada is their Waterfowling Heritage Coordinator. Simply put I assist volunteers, committees, and partner groups introduce new hunters to waterfowling through mentored hunts. We also support events like youth hunting camps, clay shoots, duck/goose calling events, wild game cooking seminars, decoy carving classes, pretty much anything that will engaged people in the outdoors. As most on this site know, hunters are one of DU and DUC biggest supporters, so in order to support conservation, we need more people enjoying the outdoors!
    I also do some photography for our Communications department, pick up any issue of our Conservator Magazine and normally you will see at least a few of my photos in it. Lastly I do a little work for our research department when they need an extra hand doing things like aerial waterbird surveys in Northern Canada.

If you are around in the fall, feel free to come by for a visit at Oak Hammock!

5. Snow Slammer

Snow Slammer Senior Refuge Member

Unless you have a minimum of 800 snow goose decoys and at least one e caller you can forget about hunting snows on the prairie in SK or AB. It is a very gear heavy undertaking. Specs and ducks can be field hunted with much less in the way of gear. 4 doz field dekes and a couple of robos would suffice. A couple dozen spec decoys would be the minimum for them unless you have a big snow spread in which case they will come in to snows.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Or, just shoot them over Canada goose dekes, as we have always done. I have never taken a spinner to Canada.

7. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted the prairies several times and have only ever seen specs in the western part of Saskatchewan into Alberta. You are not going to find specs in eastern Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

8. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

I know Sask the best. We rarely see specs E of Saskatoon though we did kill a flock of 8 one morning near Lanigan. If you are going to Central or Eastern Sask then forget the specks and focus on Crane. More fun in my opinion and at least as tasty. Whatever you decide you will fun.
    Tom B.

9. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I think alot of guys who hunted North Dakota are now going to Canada. North Dakota got crowded and most land posted so after reading how great Canada is I think alot of these guys are now headed north. Sadly Canada will probably become the same way as ND within 15 years.

CNWD likes this.
  10. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Are the fields still flooded? If that is the case would that not attract the ducks?