Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Interested in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by jeffy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Do you pay them more than outfitters???? Stupid question! It is illegal in Canada for farmers/landowners to accept money or monetary type gifts for the purpose of letting someone hunt their property. A few yrs back I was approached by a U.S. federal warden and AB provincial warden to help provide info on a large landowner who was believed to be accepting from a licensed outfitter new farm implements plus a free trip to Hawaii for the owner and his wife in return for exclusive rights to hunt his property. I declined as I did not want to get into something that I thought could backlash on my freelance hunting. But I did let the wardens know that the landowner had repeatedly refused me access over his property to a DU marsh project that was always teeming w/ thousands of birds but he let the suspect outfitter have exclusive access to get to the project. Really p***** me off that as a longtime DU supporter I could not get to hunt this project because it was landlocked within the owners property.

A lot of prairie farmers/landowners do not like outfitters as they believe the wildlife should not be exploited for monetary gain and there are a fair # of outfitters that get real testy w/ the farmers when they are denied access so that further alienates them.

What I found to be real handy/priceless when freelancing is to make good-good friends w/ a few farmers who know everyone and are liked by pretty much all the other farmers or a person who is engaged w/ the farmers in some type of business. Example: yrs ago I met a guy who ran a big oil well repair/renovation business plus his parents and uncles/cousins owned thousands of acres of farmland. My freelance group became good buddies w/ the oil guy and subsequently w/ his extended family and guess what? Yep.....we had 1st priority to hunt on so many farms we lost count of all the places we had hunted and could have hunted. But....we had a deal w/ ourselves.....if we wanted to hunt a property a certain day but the outfitter beat us to it and the farmer was prepared to call the outfitter and let him know he changed his mind in our favor, we told the farmer(s) to let it ride, let the outfitter have the field/marsh for that day, we had so many other places to hunt. That my friend builds a whole lot of respect from the farmer and occasionally a thank you from the outfitter.

2. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I gotta believe there are plenty of under the table deals with guides and landowners in Canada. I would think especially if heavier hunted areas like Quill Lakes. Money talks when your field is in high demand.

3. grande long

grande long New Member

4. grande long

grande long New Member

i dont get upset when the outfitters get the hunts afterall they are running a business and the freelancers are on vacation but tying up the land after they finished for the season sucks for the rest of us.

5. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

I can't remember a waterfowl hunt that was ever a vacation. Just because someone freelances doesn't mean it isn't work. I would argue the other way. I know of one outfitter that was taking clients to our "leftover day after" fields for a week. He basically chased us around the countryside day after day. If those clients only knew....

6. grande long

grande long New Member

7. grande long

grande long New Member

good hunting is work i agree but its still a vacation from your daily life and the type of work you dont mind doing but doing it for a living not the fun everyone thinks it would be.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Just because it's a DUC project, doesn't mean that DUC owns that land or has any say in who gets to hunt it. There are DUC project that are on DUC owned landed, these for the most part are open to hunting. Projects that are done on private land are under the control of the landowner. Just wanted to let you know! =)

More info on DUC project that are open to hunting;
    http://www.waterfowling.com/hunt-locations/

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Amazing in this day and age some people don't know how DU works.

10. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Yo NV Ducker........I know how DUC works.....reread my post. I did not say that DUC owned the property or had any say in who hunts it and who does not. What I was inferring was that the farmer/landowner would not allow us to access his property to get to the project but exclusively let the outfitter have access thus denying anyone else the opportunity to get into and hunt the project. The farmer had nothing to do with, other than grant permission, for DUC to renovate his dilapidated marsh, build nesting islands, cut back the overgrown cattails and vegetation that were choking the marsh, and install and manage water control structures, etc. As a long time supporter of DU and DUC my hard earned dollars were spent on the marsh improvements for the primary benefit of the waterfowl and secondary benefit to waterfowl hunters for hunting. The primary benefit was achieved but nada on the secondary.

BTW.....never found out if the wardens ever got enough goods on the specific landowner where they could prosecute but at the same time they were working another similar situation a few miles away and bingo.....nailed the farmer! The particular outfitter was the same outfitter as in the 1st situation and I was elated to hear about this. More than once this outfitter threatened me and my party because we had beaten him to the punch on securing permission or had gotten permission to hunt on one of his supposedly exclusive properties.