Interesting: California seems to be claiming "States Rights" over the Sanctuary cities/state issue.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

If they are successful in court upholding this "States Rights" attempt that would make a lot of things interesting.

9th District too.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ers-vote-to-make-california-a-sanctuary-state

Cited from the referenced article:

In a move apparently meant to counter the Trump administration's tough approach to immigration enforcement, the California legislature approved a so-called "sanctuary state" bill Saturday that would establish new protections for people living in the country illegally.

The California Values Act would forbid state and local law enforcement agencies from providing information to or acting as the deputies for federal immigration authorities. The bill also prohibits police and sheriff officers from inquiring about a person's immigration status.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

How long until they secede? I never thought I'd be on the "Yankee" side, with federal backing and all, in a civil war... Any bets on Civil War 2.0 also being started by Dems?

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about actual blood and guts Civil war but if enough states do this "States Rights" issue and the SCOTUS agrees. Think 10th Amendment among others. (not a Constitutional scholar so my opinions come with subject applicable caveats) it could get very interesting.

The Feds have threated and possibly withheld funds because they wanted specific state laws changed. Louisiana fought 21 age drinking laws until the Feds threatened to withhold highway funds.

Know it...don't know if I can prove it.

Found something.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...vernment-held-highway-funding-hostage/454167/

Four Times the Government Held Highway Funding Hostage
    If Congress were to lose the Highway Trust Fund, it would also lose a powerful tool to keep states in line.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

If you take out LA, San Francisco, and San Diego, the vast majority of Californians are more conservative. A large concentration in a small geographic area controls the politics in California… And we are losing our middle class because of it.

We just did a family vacation with a family that is Hispanic. Dad is second generation, Mom was born in Mexico. Both are adamantly conservative, and both are vehemently against more illegal immigration.

They discussed all the hoops and regulations that they or their parents went through to become legal citizens, and from the standpoint of legal immigrants they cannot understand why we would support and encourage illegal immigration and make legal immigration so difficult?

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I've found what you say about families of Mexican heritage that went the long legal route...to reflect the same opinions your friends do.

I've said this several times before on this "Hispanic" subject with voting and politics that branding Hispanics stereotypically because of their last names is a big mistake.

San Antonio still has Hispanic named individuals that descended from families that were in San Antonio before Mexico won its independence from Spain. So their allegiance to Mexico and its agendas are pretty small.

We have through marriage a young man who is of second generation Hispanic. Trust me...he is not in anyway liberal.

I can no longer pull stats out of my head at leisure but I believe our recent Governor's election the very conservative governor pulled a big chunk of the Hispanic vote.

Anyway...

6. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

Never happen, if the Dem's let California go they will never win another Presidential election again......

10GAGENUT, API, Squaller and 2 others like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Way I feel about it if California wants the illegals that badly then let them have them, just cut off all Federal funding they might use to take care of them.

API and Bear like this.
  8. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Ya thinking CA could marginalize themselves into even more irrelevancy?

Michael likes this.
  9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Ok, but doesn't the Constitution specifically give powers to the Fed to govern immigration and naturalization?

I mean, I know it's the 9th, and they don't really seem to care about interpretation so much sometimes as creation.

Hard to claim "States Rights" when it is a power specifically enumerated. And while I know that States can enact laws that are MORE restrictive, about the only way to go on that route is instant imprisonment or shoot on sight order. Declaring "Sanctuary" goes the other direction; giving police the discretion or order to not assist in the enforcement of Federal law is a bad precedent.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Not to mention irresponsible.