Internal Temperature for Smoked Mallard Breasts

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Gander-Commander, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

I just got a Masterbuilt electric smoker with digital display and meat thermometer. Planning to smoke some mallard breasts( plucked with skin and breast bone intact) and pull them out of the smoker medium rare. After many searches on the forums, the range of internal temperature varies from 120 to 160 degrees. Would I get good results by setting the smoker at 225 degrees, using 2-3 loads of chips, and not letting the internal temperature of a breast to get above 125-130 degrees? As a comparison, I just smoked a 5 lb. rib roast with the smoker set at 225 degrees and pulled it out when the internal temp. of the meat reached 130. Best prime rib we ever had.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't matter how you cook it, med-rare is med-rare. I'd smoke it at 225 until a little over a 100 then sear it over some blazing hot coals. Just smoking won't give you any sort of sear or crust, which is the best part!

linhardt likes this.
  3. twild

twild Refuge Member

If it is anything like chicken, watch how much smoke you give it. My first chicken on the Masterbuilt I did 2 handfuls of chips and it tasted like an ashtray. Now I just use a couple pinches and that is about right.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

It should be able to take a good bit more smoke, most red meat does. However I don't know that I've ever had anything that came out too smoky on an electric smoker, usually it's just the opposite.

5. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

Thanks for the tips. Smoked some mallard breasts today. Dry rub with seasoning and brown sugar, 225 degrees, 3 loads of apple chips, 2 1/2 hours, let it rest for 15 minutes wrapped in foil, and the results were amazing. Turned out better than the prime rib. Wife and I have eaten duck for 40 years and with the first bite we both said "WOW". Medium rare, juicy, super tender, and full of flavor.

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

3 pan's full of chips........WOW you must really like things smokey.
    I smoke Specks and mallards until the Internal temp reaches 125*
    I use 3 or 4 pieces of pecan or apple wood that are about the size of a piece of Kingsford charcoal and I thought that was a lot.:yes

Smoked goose or duck sliced thin with Provolone cheese for sandwiches or with crackers and cheese is always awesome.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    DEADEYE likes this.