Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

International Phone Service

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by TNDuckMaster, Aug 29, 2016.

1. TNDuckMaster

TNDuckMaster Refuge Member

I have an Apple iPhone with AT&T. Looking for the least expense way to call back to the US while hunting in Canada. What options do you use? What about FaceTime? Is there a charge using FaceTime when calling back to other iPhones with AT&T services? What about Skype? Is there a charge using Skype when calling back to other iPhones with AT&T services? Thanks for your help.

2. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

Depends on where you are going in Canada. I can use my US Cellular phone in Manitoba fairly cheap due to different tower options. In Saskatchewan you have 1 provider for reception, SASKTEL. We cannot use our phones from here in Sask. We have resorted to buying 2 phones up there in SK and we bring them back and forth every year. Then when we show up to our destinantion we stop in town a load the phones with minutes. Way cheaper but takes some planning.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Why not use Skype or similar app at a hotel/Mcdonalds/Tim Hortons/ where they have free wi-fi and call home that way.

4. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

I just called my carrier, T mobile, yesterday. They have North America call plan for additional $5 a month. I assumed it was only US calling to CA, Mx. I spoke to their support and was told that with the plan my phone will work in CA and I can call anywhere no roaming.

Take the free advice for what you paid for it, but that's what i was told.

5. COHonkers

COHonkers Refuge Member

As long as you can get some wifi you can use face time or Skype on that and not get charged any minutes on either end. Definitely the way to go if you can get wifi.

6. TNDuckMaster

TNDuckMaster Refuge Member

Thanks, the home we stay has Wi-Fi.