Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Internet Scouting

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by derek, Jan 10, 2016.

1. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

Through the years, it's no secret that I and several others on here have fairly strong opinions towards the mere mention of a location. I cringe every time I see the infamous thread entitled "enter specific public land name here WMA?" that happens EVERY season, if not several times each split, particularly if it's a location I frequent. When I and others get our panties up in a bunch, and come back with sometimes less than tactful replies trying to discourage the poster from asking such audacious questions and to take some pride in their own abilities and do the work themselves, we are often shot down by the many of you on here that aren't facing the struggle of hunting public waters/marshes every day. "It's public land, it's a public forum", "Why can't hunters help other hunters?", "It's not like everyone is reading this and flocking to or going to find your honey hole", "It's a 3000 acre WMA what's the big deal?", etc, etc, etc... We hear it all the time, it may even be worse for turkey hunting. Well, I'd like to share my experiences on the subject.. to disprove the skeptics who have no problem publicly "helping" others with information they didn't gain themselves but through others and to discourage others from being so helpful with sharing information.

This season has been different, ducks that are here are stale, the rest are late or have already moved through and just about everyone is feeling the frustration of birds being hard to hunt. So we get a good cold push this week, bound to put fresh birds within our reach. The excitement builds from every duck hunter in the state.. the M-F workers are chomping at the bit watching every duck hunting forum and facebook group trying to gain some intel on what areas received fresh birds. I dropped a hint of info without giving away any locations (part of that was in error thanks to my "smart" phone and tapatalk making me think a post was a personal message lol) and a person I messaged due to safety in cold temps/ice conditions publicly announced my location and spouted off way too much information which realistically was a bunch of bufflehead... this generated a good bit of attention about the location.. and each day.. there are more and more rigs hunting there. At first, it didn't even bother me, as there weren't that many birds, the weather would make them sit and it doesn't hurt to have other groups and boats out keeping birds moving.

Fast foward to Saturday... I work nights, so after work I get the boat hooked up and head to the ramp for the late morning into afternoon hunt... holy crap! I barely have a spot to park! And this is just one of several ramp locations that feeds the area. I motor out to where I plan to hunt and there are rigs everywhere. I've never seen rigs packed together so tightly here, so I stop just to listen and watch... bufflehead are being corralled by steady moving boat traffic and there is some shooting. The low wind has me listening to every jack clown and their brother wailing on duck and goose calls horrendously and I can hear 12 different groups talking to eachother... So here we have a place that may have had a few fresh ducks, now we're packing it so tight with rigs that birds have no place to sit without being messed with... those few birds that were here simply aren't going to stick around. What a freaking zoo. I checked out a few more areas and never once found a spot far enough away from another group that I couldn't hear them talking so I said screw it, I'm not having any part of it, left and went elsewhere.

Now the skeptic will say surely that's coincidental, it's just a saturday, but I've hunted here a lot, many opening days, saturdays and days with a lot of groups out hunting... I've never seen it even close to that bad. What started out this week with 2 rigs - myself and one other refuge poster turned into a complete cluster F by the end of the week. You can't convince me otherwise that this forum and it being mentioned online ducks being at said location did not directly affect the number of people trying to hunt it. Most of which obviously were not prepared for it as they were just sitting in their boats next to decoys in the wide open.

So please, think about what you're posting, here and on other forums/facebook.. and feel free to notice the number of views on every thread asking about divers or specific locations.. The common posters are not the only ones watching this board.

ted brogan, Allan and bird junkie like this.
  2. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Smith island Derek, that's where I tell everyone i hunt

derek and Scotty like this.
  3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

You are talking about Chesapeake Beach, right?

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Deale island is where you wan to be. I heard from several PA guys that they didn't have to paddle out to far with their kayaks with just a couple of decoys and get a quick limit. They said the ducks have come back and great numbers due to having all of the motor boats stopped from tearing up the vegatation for food.

5. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

Good post Derek... agreed with what your saying.. i have about 5 friends that i will call and give them scoop to, otherwise i don't post locations on any such website..

6. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

***cringe***

straitmeat72 and Keith McGowan like this.
  7. SOGGYBOTTOMBOY

SOGGYBOTTOMBOY Elite Refuge Member

Yup huntings tough out there during a good year! Let alone this one. Dealing with some yangs myself currently. I feel for ya bro when you gotta fight to kill a couple dominos.

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

I love how certain people who rely on cushy private spots( and still only kill maybe a duck or two per hunt) think this is a joke.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  9. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

That may be the longest post I ever have seen! I just dont understand why people dont just travel a little to hunt. People should be looking to different states.... Instead of beating the same old dead horse.

10. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

I think this was more of a perfect storm than anything else. I know plenty of people weren't even bothering to hunt and this is the first weekend it may have been worthwhile to a lot of them. Then common sense says go north. Then you confirm what they were thinking. This was definitely the busiest week on my lease this year and that's with bad reports.