Internet scouting..........

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Calikev, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Well it's that time of year......

Folks have and will draw refuges that they have never hunted before. So instead of driving out there and checking them out and talking to the staff that manages them, they will come on here looking for morsels of hope.

They will say "I'm not looking for your secret spots, but just a starting point and I'll figure it out from there"..........

That's a total untruth. They are looking for a secret spot and they don't know where to start. They don't want to be sent to the most crowded, problematic spots just like you and I. They are looking for an easy handout.

Why do the scouting for these people? What have they given you? Get something equal in trade. Keep it off the forum and do it privately. It's hard enough with cell phones, and a public forum can be just as damaging. The reach these forums have goes into the thousands.

Drawing odds have gotten tougher again this year. 90+ % chance you don't draw a ressie. Opening is even worse. You will have guys on the opener who have NEVER been to an area before and putting in for it. Why? Opening weekend should be a time you are going to something you are somewhat familiar with. I've been guilty of it myself in the past. However, I won't go on to a public forum asking for handouts either. I'll talk to a friend who has been there before and get a starting point from them. We are all looking for morsels of hope during the season to put us "on the birds". Of course everyone wants to be "on the birds" these days, as we have many hunters who see it as a serious personal failure if they don't slam them everyday.

What plays into this mindset are the guys who are slamming them, posting their pictures and making these folks jealous. Then guys who want to be successful like them try harder and harder, and get more desperate in their attempts to keep up with these guys. The fact is some of these guys have to learn the hard way. Folks like Drakecaller, Welborn User, Blackdog, Mudhen, Fishdog, Malia, Flyfisher, etc. are really successful because they live for this stuff. They are out there constantly looking at stuff and putting things together. You're not going to be like these guys without doing those same things. That is how they got to be the way that they are. They put tremendous time and dedication into their craft to stay successful. Putting in a few ressies and getting a golden draw doesn't guarantee you to do the same things. Nor does renting a rice tank make you slam the specks or stay on the ducks like some these folks can. They know their properties and have invested years into learning the programs.

It's not the internet that makes these guys successful. It's not cell phones. It's getting out into the field and learning things the old fashioned way. Then comes the "tough love" concept. Don't give it up for free. Stay true my fellow hunters. Share information privately and only to folks you know will offer something good in return and will be good folks you can call friends. It's all about forging friendships that will continue to be fruitful down the line.

Nobody enjoys a crowded refuge. Nobody. Folks like blinds because they want some piece of mind. Folks who hunt free roam know they have to be protective to maintain quality hunting for a period of time. Loose lipped folks ruin that. There is NO GOOD in that type of behaivor. NO ONE is going to be hurt by keeping things on a private level.

If you want to put in for a new place, so be it. Just figure it out by going out there and learning it. What is the harm in not "slamming them one day"? Ask yourself if opening day or weekend is the opportune time to learn a refuge? If so, then be realistic with your expectations and don't ask the public forum for help. Chances are that guys who know the area that didn't draw are not real happy about you making the post.

This is my disclaimer. I'm not bashing anyone in this post. I'm just hoping guys use a little common sense when the draws start rolling in. God knows that many guys will draw something they haven't hunted in years or never drawn and many will chime in about where to go.

Is one minute of fame worth all the scouting you've done to learn a hunting spot?

Kevin

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately Kevin, this is the way its going to be forever from now on. Lots of "fast food" hunters nowadays.

Its like the PM I got a couple of days ago from a person I've never met or spoken to, the first line was:

"Since you didn't get drawn, could you help me out with some spots on Tule Lake?"

And the second line of "do I really need a boat out there, there isn't any walk in opportunities?"..........:l

I'd personally like to see all posted averages gone from blinds and AP's but we know that's thinking outside the box, god forbid you learn an area:l

I've asked info from people on this forum on a number of occasions and I exclusively do it via PM. It works and you'll probably get more valuble info. If folks don't want to share info with me, I don't take it personal as I've been referred to as a "tight lipped SOB" in the past and I'm totally OK with that.

I've shared info with folks on this forum when I know them and know they aren't going to spread the word all over the parking lots and the internet. But I have been burned by this(another story for another time).

There may not be any more "hidey holes" on the public refuges but the less folks that know about them, the better, IMO.

3. DMC

DMC Elite Refuge Member

This is a good example. Way to much info in the last post.:mad:

Please keep all your posts to fishing, politics or just stupid links from now on. Jezz this is a hunting site so quit posting hunting info.:mad:

I will never get on now.:mad:

:z :p

4. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Now I know which guys to follow!:dvThank you inter - net:tu:l

5. #1stunner

#1stunner Elite Refuge Member

agree with all the above comments other than getting rid of blind avies, its getting so hard to get drawn now think how long will it take to learn a refuge. Plus it does help prevent newbies from asking even more questions.

6. straightsixes

straightsixes Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In all seriousness: these guys ARE contacted for information each year, and have been BURNED in the past.

Its rough enough to mentor someone you think you know... to have them post pictures, information, tell their 6 "best" buddies etc. Add the OPEN internet posts where 6 becomes 6000 and "X's" get crowded/unsafe/silly really fast.

Every year a new batch of people get burned and learn the hard way. I know of two spots last year that went from good to junk thanks to some careless posts. At the same time there were a couple of locations that shot great for a few weeks because the lid was kept tight on the information. :tu

Dan Mallia:

There is NO DOUBT that the posting of blind/AP/free roam averages is probably the greatest factor on where people choose to apply for ressies and/or hunt daily.

7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I hope Mallia uses some common sense when he gets drawn and invites me! :l:dv:l

Was out today, as a matter of fact. Found a couple of new, promising areas. :tu Looking forward to hunting them with my daughter this year.

8. CORONA 1

CORONA 1 Senior Refuge Member

nice calikev:clap:clap dan mallia, i didn't know you didn't get drawn. since you didnt get drawn can i borrow your boat?:dv:dv:dv i want to check things out up there.

9. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I don't hunt the refuges!!! But ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies!!!!!!! Nocalhonker

10. cmac77

cmac77 Elite Refuge Member

It's just duck hunting. If someone is in your spot move on. If someone gets drawn and you dont find another option....try plan B.

I personally dont talk about the specific spots I hunt but if someone wants to let the cat out of the bag I dont think you can stop them.