Is a 40 Etec enough for this boat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Boatbrain, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Boatbrain

Boatbrain New Member

I just put a deposit down on a new tracker grizzly 1754 with a 40 ETEC on it. The boat is exactly what I was looking for, however the boat says it is rated for a 50 horse and I usually like to max my boats out with horsepower. This one only having of 40 has me a touch concerned. I’m not looking to race or go super fast at all. Just want enough engine to get my boat up on plane and get to where I’m going without issues. I usually don’t run a ton of gear and usually only have me and one other guy with the dog. Will the little 40 Etec do a good job?

2. SANJUANGLENN

SANJUANGLENN Elite Refuge Member

Evinrude had many many problems with their outboards. I would never recommend them. Spend the extra money and go with Yamaha. Honda or last Mercury. You will not be sorry. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/evinrude.html

Read this and pass on the Evinrude. I live in Seattle and the dealers are full of 2017 motors Not many fishermen interested in a POS

longduck likes this.
  3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

A 40 should do everything you want without any problems. If you have a choice, though, I would also consider the Yammie before the ETEC.

longduck likes this.
  4. Boatbrain

Boatbrain New Member

I really don’t have a choice as it comes the way it comes......take it or leave it kinda deal....lol
    I have read the consumer issues, and mercury has the same thing. However, I know people running Mercs as well as etecs and both swear by them. I truly believe in this day and age, you can get something great, or a complete lemon, just a matter of luck. I probably would go Yamaha, but it isn’t an option.
    I was mainly just interested in knowing if the 40 Etec was gonna be big enough for the boat. Luckily, it sounds like it is plenty........thanks

5. portahunter

portahunter Elite Refuge Member

I've got a 25hp etec on an 1746 tunnel hull. It'll do 27mph with me and my fishing gear or a light hunting load. Carries weight well though. Still do 22mph with me and 3 buddies during hunting season. Have to use a 25hp on the local NWRs. I've got a 3ft deck extension with hatch for dry storage up front where I have my gas tank. Figured out recently that with my trolling motor and battery up front and me standing up front the water intakes for the motor are up out of the water. Pretty sure that how I fried the only water pump I've gone through so far. Other than that no issues with the motor.

6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

With the load you are talking about-the 40 should be just fine. I do run a mercury 50hp, but sometimes I have 3 people-guns and decoys- I have 16ft Seaark. I started with a 25hp. Glad I went up to the bigger horse power. fireduck

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have no experience with the Etec but I have had a 754 100 guage boat with front and rear decks and extra boxes and a 40 Yamaha 2 stroke on it. It has always had plenty of power and is still good on gas as well.

8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I have a 40 E-Tec on my 17' Carolina Skiff. Way heavier boat Than your Tracker. 34-36 mph with me and another guy and all our fishing stuff. Me,2 other guys, layout boat, and 12 dozen decoys, still over 30. Plenty enough.

9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

The rig above I was topped out at about 28 mph. With a three blade stainless prop, not sure of the pitch.

10. Boatbrain

Boatbrain New Member

Perfect...... Thanks guys!
    Matt...I take it you love the etec?