Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Is a 40 Etec enough for this boat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Boatbrain, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I have an Evinrude 40 on a 16-1/2 footer & when it's not duck season, it flat flies! Once I load 2 of us, our gear, dog, a full blind & 8 - 10 dozen decoys, it still goes WAY faster than I ever want to go in the dark, & moves along plenty fast.

Ringbill

2. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Yes!!! I love my E-Tec! Being run by a computer is a whole new change. Go from 600 to over 3000rpm in about 4 seconds. Always get on plane. No wallowing, if you know what I mean. Always a great hole shot. Adjust the trim and away you go. Keep an eye on your oil. Mine uses way less gas than my conventional 40 did.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Etec,s have a good low end torgue. Should,nt have any problem carrying max load you mentioned. Try to get the extended warranty if offered. I,ve had a 90 on my 20' seaark for 5 years and had to take advantage of it twice. Once for power trim pump replacement( factory one not rebuildable) and just this year for lower unit seal replacement(found some ones discarded power pro line). Zero cost to me. Motor sips gas and syn. oil set at 100/1.

4. crazyquacked

crazyquacked Elite Refuge Member

Im going to be the odd guy out. I had a Yamaha F115. It sucked. Owned it 2.5 years and had $3K in repairs. Lost an entire duck season to it because the shop couldn't figure it out. And it was an excellent shop. Ive had an Etech 115 for the last 4 years and nothing but maintenance. It flies and sounds awesome.No oil to change either.

5. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I have a 115 e-tec, best motor I've ever had. Runs great. 7 years old. You can't treat an outboard like junk and expected to run for a long time.

6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Maybe not a modern outboard. My 1974 Johnson 25hp has been beaten like a red headed step child and is still in service. I've thought about replacing it but I figure I may as well get my full 150 bucks I paid for it a long while ago and run it until it blows. And when it happens I'll get another. Those old 18-25hp motors are legendary in reliability.

7. Dogface

Dogface Senior Refuge Member

I had a 74 Johnson 25 hp and they were fantastic engine.

For the op. I also have a 17' War Eagle with a 40 Suzuki 4 stroke. Weight and performance should be similar to yours. With just me I get close to 30mph. I cruise at 4000 to 4500 rpm at 17 to 19 mph.