Is believing a must for some people?

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

After watching some videos I have always thought humans (well some) have an absolute innate need to believe in a higher power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvILvxYbFA

Every group of humans have always found or came up with something to worship as a group. I always wonder why this happens.

The bush people in Africa that worshiped airplanes amazed me. During WW2 the planes were flying over them and these planes became the tribes gods or higher powers.

In last months Bill the science guys debate both him and the pastor (arch guy) were asked a good question. What could change your mind on a God? Pastor said "nothing" Bill said "evidence"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8Babr_n4w

Please I beg everyone reading this not to turn this into another proof of God or no God debate but and adult civil conversation on if some people are born with this belief gene.

Could you change your mind with evidence?

Could you change with you mind with a mental feeling?

I honestly believe some humans could never give up their belief no matter what was presented to them.

2. baglimit

baglimit Senior Refuge Member

No physical evidence needed. But it's all around u if u look.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

This. ^^

Humans will always seek a higher power because we were created to worship God, it's innate in us. Some have created their own "higher power" to worship, some have confused God with airplane's, some may call Him different names, some have even put science in His place, but at the end of the day it's what we were created for.

4. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Here is my thought. Everyone has a God. Some are in the shape of tree's, automobiles, hobbies or even family. When you really think hard even an atheist has a God. Himself. It all comes down to what do you live for. You life is an act of worship to your God. For me I live for God by believing in his son Jesus. I know I will stand before him and he will give me new life. This is the difference from all the other gods listed. They do not give life. So yes we are all born to worship gods. It is His saving grace that allows us to live for Him.

5. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Well said Howler. I agree.

6. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

Self awareness and a knowledge of mortality creates this physcological need for purpose IMO. Many can not accept that they will live and they will duplicate and they will die and that's all there is and there's nothing they can do to change that. As if being beholden to an omnipotent being somehow fullfills that need for purpose and negates the finality of death. It doesn't really, it's just a narcotic IMO. You have no more purpose in that role than I do in mine.

Raised in the Catholic church I now have no need for any gods.

For me it's a mental relief to be free of all that and accept what I really am.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Mental relief from what exactly? Serious question, I've seen a few guys on here claim that. I must say I've been a believer for 20+ yrs and can't recall any mental anguish from being a believer. If anything I would say it's been the opposite. Did your church put some sort of pressure on you or something? Other believers?

8. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

As a young Catholic kid of course you worried if you did all the right things at the right time. Prayer, confession, sacrements etc. It seems very silly now but nuns are trained to scare little kids and it works. You worried about it.

As an adult I don't need to live my life to some religious standard. That's not to say I have no morals but they are not religious morals, they are what people have naturally.

I realize prayer is useless and when I'm dead I won't miss anything, I won't be sad about it nor have any regrets. I waste no time talking to the sky and I'll be my only judge in the end.

It's also fascinating to me understanding we are all just a two million year old product of our environment and to begin to realize why we look and act the way we do as a species. An epiphany, like the rush of solving a great equation. Religion gets in the way of that.

I could go on.

9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

This is a really good paragraph. When I read tubshooters reply, I would guess he doesn't worship himself as you stated but he worships everything. His sig other, the fly on his arm, the grand canyon, and everything else he sees. He sees it in alls its natural glory.

Great conversation!

Thanks for the civil honest post.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I guess I could see getting "burned out" so to speak if you were pressured to much as a kid. Never experienced that so can't say how it would have affected me.
    Your "epiphany" is interesting to me; it seems most atheists look at the world around us and find all sorts of things to prove that there is no God, yet for me I see the exact opposite. You guys like to say we have faith in "nothing" and for no reason but at least for me that's far from true; I look at the world we live in with all the amazing structure and organization, the balance in nature, the beauty, etc and I just see no way that all happened by pure chance, it had to be designed.
    Not trying to start another debate, we've had those threads enough and neither of us is likely to change our minds, it's just something I find intriguing.