Is believing a must for some people?

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Oops I guess we have. Are we done with the First Commandment?

Do you see the difference between Gods Commandments and mans law?

2. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Yep lets move onto the second commandment. Post it up and let me know if it would be a law to have on the books and what the punishment you think there should be for breaking it.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I think you're mistaking the rules of God's covenant with Moses as part of the 10 commandments.

Also, Tom never said the 10 commandments should be made into laws and enforced, he simply said the world would be a much better place if we lived by them and we likely wouldn't need many of the other laws we now have. Do you disagree? If so why?

What's up with this "post it up" crap? Just say what you're gonna say about for crying out loud. As Tom has stated there is little you have said or done that makes me think you're trying to do anything but discredit or disprove God and His Word.

4. Lip Shooter

I do not think it would be good to force every person to believe in one god and force them to do so like the first commandment.

Do you think the USA would be a better place if it was mandated that every citizen can only believe in the christian god?

Sorry on your second response and I only meant to ask you or Tom to post it up as there a several versions of the 10 commands in different bibles. So if you post it up (your choice) we don't have to debate what it is. Seems like you're angry at me.

I do not think any of your post are crap.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

No one said to force or mandate--you can't really be forced to truly be a believer and follow Christ anyway. It would absolutely be a better place if everyone followed on their own accord.

The commandments are the same, the translations are different. No one is angry at you, but it is hard to take you seriously at times I must admit.

6. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Well, its clear that you dont understand the difference between laws of man and Gods Law.

God gave us the Ten Commandments as a model for us to live by. They are His wishes for us in terms as to how we should live our lives and how He wants us to live. He created us He knows what is best for us.

God can not and will not "force" us to do anything. That goes against the fundamental concept of free will.

Mans laws are not a model to live by. They are a regulatory system based on punishment for disobedience. Mans law forces behavior through regulation.

You are attempting to view the Ten Commandments as a regulatory system like societal law. It wont work. They are two completely different concepts.

Commandment II. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

Again, I stand by my original statement. If everyone adhered to the Ten Commandments there would be no need for the laws we have.

Please post some of the contradictions you eluded to earlier in the thread.

7. Lip Shooter

Lets no get off on a Red Herring here. A comment was made and I hear it often how great these 10 commands are.

I do not think anyone should get punished by law for breaking the second commandment.

2 commandments down and neither would be wise to enforce by law.

Post up the third one :)

8. Lip Shooter

So God can not do something correct? He can not force a person to do something.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You are the only person on here that has even suggested this. I'm still trying to figure out your point. :confused:

10. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Lip, the Ten Commandments are a system that God has established to keep us from sinning. Sin is the key. The punishment for sin is death--eternal separation from God. They are all intertwined and work as a system if you will.

Yes there are things that God can't do. Sin is an example. Could God interfere with free will? I would say no. Free will is a fundamental trait that all people have. God said He will not interfere with it. If He did He would be going against His word. That is something He can not do. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. Does that make sense to you?

Commandment III. You shall not take the Lords name in vain.

See a pattern yet?