Is Delta turning "Green? Nelson must go!

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Sep 30, 2006.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I recieved my Delta Waterfowl mag the other day and I read the "Feedback" and the article by Dan Nelson Editor. He classifies T.R., "Ding" Darling and Aldo Leopold as enviormentalist. I always thought they were conservationist? I am not a very educated man, though I work in an Engineering envoirment. Isn't there a difference? Quote: "Eco-terrorism has about as much in common with envoirmentalism as drive-by shootings do with hunting." I don't think Org. like the Serria Club has hunting in a high esteem. In a past issue there was an article w/Jameson Parker and Tony Dean. Let me make one thing clear: I DONOT care one Iota for Messr. Dean. Also I believe Messr. Nelson is "in bed" w/Messr. Dean and if Delta starts heading down this path I will not be a member of an Org. though I feel is a very good outfit. By the way didn't/doesn't Delta stand up to Gun Rights unlike my other org. (DU)? I think I remember an article years ago about how Delta was standing up to Canadieans(sp) gun rights? So why did Delta hire a person that clearly hates the NRA? I AM a gun owner first, then a hunter as IMHO w/o the gun where would hunting be. Of course the antigun people don't want my shotgun as long as it's a dbl bbl gun, right?

Virgil

2. Skip OK

Skip OK Elite Refuge Member

One Shot,

If this is the only reason, I wouldn't worry about Delta turning Green.

The whole idea that "Conservationist" means one thing and "Environmentalist means something nearly opposite, is in my view wrong.

People have (very recently) just decided that one term is good and one term is bad, but if you look at it closely, both terms apply to peopl who are trying to do good things to the environment.

I think a better comparison might be between "conservationists" and "preservationists".

A preservationist (in my mind) want to take an ecosystem and allow no changes; that is, no hunting, no logging, no development, nothing. They want the land to stay the same as it is now. Of course that is impossible; even if we do nothing the land and the vegetation and animal life it supports changes over time, so the preservationist view is a loser, IMO, from the get go.

A conservationist believes that it is possible to make use of the land provided you manage the land to provide sustainable growth. Consumptive uses such as sustainable logging, hunting/gathering, and certain type of development shoud be allowed and encouraged, provided they are at a level that does not harm to the land. The consevationist viewpoint requires active, and intelligent management, but again in IMO, it provides a chance to actually maintain our land in heathly and profitable states.

As examples of the two type, I would suggest John Muir (founder of the Sierra Club) as a prototype Preservationist and Gifford Pinchot (the first American Educated Forester AND the First head of the US FOrest Service) as representing the Conservationist view.

3. OneShotBandit

Skip,
    Very good reply, it does answer some of my questions on the article. Thanks, I'm sure I'll get some that will be more "hateful" or barbed. :z

4. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

OneShotBandit...

There's nothing wrong with being an "environmentalist".....all of us here are.

The problem is that liberals have highjacked the word and use it with the "preservationist" meaning which deals with not cutting trees, not killing game, etc.

5. OneShotBandit