Is getting a 3 inch gun worth it?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by leftyhunter, Sep 29, 2016.

1. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

Hi All,
    I have two 3 inch 12 ga I am going to take to Martin B Retting Gunstore in Culver City, Ca for detailed cleaning a SKB 900L and a Weartby SA-08. I have two great 2 2/4th guns a Berreta 302 which is great for upland and a 1950's era Belgium Browning Auto 5. Is the 3 inch shell so much better that I should buy a good 3 inch used auto loader if i can find a good deal? MBR has a one year warranty on used guns. I know it's a tough one shotguns are to waterfowlers what fashion shoes are to the ladies ( at least the ladies that like guys) decision decisions!
    Whats a good price for say a Mosberg 930 or any good 3 inch semi auto has a back up gun. Thats assuming of course that a 2 3/4 shell gun is just Jim Dandy has a back up gun?
    Thanks
    Leftyhunter

2. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

The 3inch shell does give you a greater shot payload and I like to get every advantage possible, especially on big ducks. I shoot alot of 2 3/4'' shells for Teal and Woodies and they are usually at closer ranges(farm ponds, etc).

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I use a lot 2-3/4" factory steel ammo. I do not see a large advantage for ranges under 50 yards. The problem is the availability and selection of factory 2-3/4" loads can be rather limited. The manufacturers have reduced the number of loadings they offer and the retailers do not carry much selection because the demand is low.

leftyhunter likes this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I can highly recommend the Kent 23/4 inch 11/16 oz of #3 load @1,560 through a modified choke.
    Some of the best duck shooting I ever did was with this load.
    In my opinion, 3 inch shells can be very good performers and have never felt a need for 31/2 shells.

leftyhunter and callinfowl like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

This is one of the bigger probelms in ammo selction today. Most 3" steel loads are very heavy 1 1/4 oz or 1 3/8 oz and will give alot of recoil, you can get 1 1/8 loads but many of those are cranked up to over 1600 fps now and will be just as harsh in the recoil department if your a bit sensative to it. I can reduce down 3" 1 1/8 oz loads to 1450 -1475 fps and there's little felt recoil vs a 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz load big problem is the factories really won't make reduced velocity hunting loads these days.

leftyhunter likes this.
  6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Common fallacy that bigger is better. You can have the same speed (1550 fps), good payload (1 1/16 or 1 1/8) with maybe 8 less pellets per shell. Advantages would be less recoil and usually less cost as well. I never feel undergunned using 2.75", and I have a bunch of guns , including a Beretta 302, Browning Superposed, Winchester 101, etc. , that only use 2.75". I can also buy 2.75" loads with 1 ounce (Federal) and some CDN shells like Score or Challenger which have loads from 1 ounce to 1 1/8. I can show you piles of pictures and videos of birds I take using these shells, so don't let anyone tell you that you need a 3" shell to kill birds.

leftyhunter and callinfowl like this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I love the Kent 2 3/4 " 11/16 oz of #4 shot I wish they would make with #5 shot.
    I wouldn't feel under gunned if I only had a 2 3/4'' gun.
    One of the main reasons I bought a 3.5'' gun is so I have the option of shooting any type of ammo I feel like shooting. If I could find 3 1/2'' of #5 shot @ 1400FPS I'd be in heaven. I pride myself on calling ducks and geese..........I thoroughly enjoy tricking the birds as close as I can get them into the tiny little beaver pond that we hunt , we pass on lots of killable birds.
    ( I just don't need that many birds these days to enjoy a hunt)
    So I like to get them right in the hole and look'um right in the eye's right before I pop up to smoke them.
    10 to 15 yards right in the hole is what I'm after, it doesn't always work out that way but more times then not we are shooting at 15 to 25 yards right in the kill hole. I honestly could use 2 3/4'' 20 GA and be perfectly fine.
    But my 20 GA even with a Skeet choke it shoots beach ball size at 20 yards.
    I'm not the best shot so I mainly stick with a 12 GA , I'm a very streaky shooter either I am on or I'm missing them totally.
    If you can afford a new gun go for it , but you don't need one.
    If it was me I'd by a case of 2 3/4'' #4 steel and have at it.
    I've killed plenty of ducks and geese back when I was shooting a 1970 2 3/4'' Remington Wing Master out to 40 yards........I love that gun it has a 26'' barrel and it swings as smooth as silk...just enough weight to it.
    Although my old 870 is marked 2 3/4'' I found out by mistake that it shoots and ejects 3'' shells just like butter...no problems what so ever.:no:tu
    I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this out with their gun, but it works fine in my gun:yes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    leftyhunter likes this.
  8. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've got a duckin' buddy that still shoots his dads old Remington #48 I believe. The old humpback, & just 2-3/4" shells. He tells me good shells are harder to find & more expensive than the 3" shells out there.

Ringbill

leftyhunter likes this.
  9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

All that is a product of the speed kills steel shot crowd. The FED SpeedShok at 1375 fps and the Remington Nitro at 1390 fps are both solid 2-3/4" rounds that don't beat the snot out of you.

duckbuster2 and leftyhunter like this.
  10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine shoots the same gun and uses 2 3/4 Remington Sportmans. As long as I put the ducks over the decoys at 35 yards or less he hammers them. He gets them for $11.99 per box.

leftyhunter likes this.