Is it time to regulate Google?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by The_Duck_Master, Nov 26, 2018.

1. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Newly elected Republican senator could be Google’s fiercest critic
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...can-senator-could-be-googles-fiercest-critic/

I realize the video below is from 2017 but given Hawley's election to the Senate Tucker Carlson's argument for limiting what is a De Facto monopoly is once again relevant.

"Since it has the power to censor the Internet, Google should be regulated like the public utility it is, to make sure it doesn't further distort the free flow of information to the rest of us."

If you haven't see this I encourage you to take 5 minutes to watch:

The greatest danger is not the social engineering Google can accomplish, but rather as Hawley points out, that as a De Facto monopoly, Google has the power to stifle competition. Carlson does a good job of laying out why Google cannot be trusted to self regulate.

2. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

I personally regulate Google by using Duckduckgo for browsing.

partyfowl and widgeon like this.
  4. The_Duck_Master

Do you use it on your phone?

5. API

My iPhone uses Safari. Realizing the potential for browser developer incest, I wouldn't be surprised if Safari is related to Google.

6. The_Duck_Master

Safari is an Apple browser but Apple recently switched from their own Apple Search to Google for search queries and as a result Google now controls 90% of mobile search and mobile search is now about 75% of all search (and growing). It's really not as simple as "don't use Google" because it requires folks to make a conscious decision to identify, download, install and configure something else while both mobile OS platforms have Google integrated into their OS. And, it's not just about "search." It's also about the news stories you see based on your interests. Avoiding Google on mobile requires a herculean effort which is impractical given that Apple and Google have zero incentive to make that easy. Most folks can barely turn on their phone and are scared to death of changing something that'll break their Internet.

7. API

That sorta explains why the content in the AP ap on my iPhone makes me wanna puke.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  8. The_Duck_Master

Not that Apple would be any less biased. However, my point is that the argument that folks can/should just use something else doesn't carry water given the burden required and the risks associated with doing so. Hell, most folks still haven't figured out how helpful a "right click" can be. Asking them to switch their default search provider is about as helpful as asking them for a dissertation on quantum physics.

*** waits for diversion about quarks and boson particles ***

9. API

What!!! No immutable stuff allowed?

10. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

How about Sinclair or net neutrality while we're at it........