Is it valid free speech to interupt someon else's free speech by blocking them or shouting them down

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Antifa blocking and rioting over speakers and townhall meetings speakers being shouted down by protestors.

Seems like preventing one person's rights claiming it's their right...well...is wrong.

Anybody got a valid point?

2. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

Freedom of speech is a matter of law, "Congress shall make no law...". What you are referring to is a mater of ethics (Its "wrong" to)... which aren't apart of our "freedoms".

Individuals interrupting each other has nothing to do with the Constitution or our rights. Put a law in place, however, that would interrupt someone, only then you would have an argument.

3. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

What boom said.

I think some don't want any protest at all; peaceful, loud or anything inbetween.

4. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

You may be right, but physically impeding another from either attending or participation in an event that is not to your liking remains a violation legally and ethically.

Free speech is all about being able to say what you want, and for others to do the same even when you or someone finds the speech offensive or uncomfortable.

Ever wonder why even though we have the right of peaceful
    assembly. However to do so in many cases requires a permit?

I asked this in law class and the professor stated that in his view the permits allowed for notification, security and reminder of the rules regarding free speech. He was a 60s protester of the war, but also had served in Vietnam for 19 months in combat. Came home and protested as was his right.

5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

True. Its more about uncivilized behavior, bad manners and generally ineffective parental performance. Its about what we would expect from a troop of chimps.

6. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I have been watching the whole Ken Burns series. I remember watching the protests on TV and reading about it in the papers but watching the Kent State thing in the documentary was hard. Crazy. The episode last night with the vets coming home to protest the war....was interesting hearing the personal accounts years later. We have along ways to go to get to the level of protest of the late 60s.

7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Friends I use to hunt with where both vets from that war and sadly both are gone today. Both served in country. One a marine and the other Army infantry. I was always amazed at the different perspective both held about the war and protests in general. Marine was one who came back and protested even though he had enlisted. Army looked badly at the protesters and the actions they took. The two where good friends and met after serving. They however did respect each others views.

Civility of dissent was a comment one made that stuck with me. Protest, stay within the law, respect others and property! Work to change the things you disagree with. Destruction, lawless behavior impeding others or infringing upon their rights was a huge violation of his code of conduct. Ironically both where elected to the ND Legislature from different parties and served for a number of years until one retired the other did as well but due to health related to Agent Orange.

I unlike you do not have to watch the series as I grew up with it. Friends, and neighbors serving and some not coming home. Watching Walter Cronkite for many of those families was a mix of hoping to catch a glimpse of a son, but hoping as well not to. Times we have not seen of discontent, but one factor that my Marine friend said he discovered was the infiltration into groups opposed to the war by violent left wing agitators anarchists. They where one of the biggest factors of him leaving the protests as they preached anti US and violent uprising against the Gov with intent to form a dictator ruled society. Again free speech but one he opposed as it seems did others in the Midwest at least.

Which really brings us back to the original question and responses. Where is the line and regarding what the shout down is promoting. Went to a couple very tense town halls locally and the comments and speech was in my view trying to insight a riot at the event to shut it down. That doesn't fit booms answer at all!