Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Is my blind to short?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jangle, Jul 20, 2018.

1. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

I never thought this would be a question, but is my boat blind to short?? The top rail is 39" off the floor of the boat. The rail hits me at about my chin when sitting in the seat you see in the pictures. That seat is on an 8" pedestal. I am planning to make individual shooting holes, so there will be brush around each hunter. what do you guys think? i have plans of making some removable head covers for each hunter.
    20180719_192512.jpg 20180719_192521.jpg 20180719_192524.jpg

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Guess that depends on how tall you are and how high you like to sit. I prefer 42" to top rail with 18" from floor to top of seat. Brings top rail to just below nose on myself but I,m 6"1 and don,t like to sit w/legs cramped up. I always build flip away panels that angle in to cover shoot hole that covering can be peeped thru to watch working birds.

3. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I like to sit on a bar stool with a back on it. 42" is about right and can still see behind, while setting.

Attached Files:

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I like the blind with flip tops down to be about shoulder high when I'm sitting. Make the shooting easy.

5. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

By the time you get all the goodies added to the blind it will probably add several more inches to the height. Possibly more depending on the type of camouflage being used.
    Are those Beavertail pods? If so, what kind of material using for floatation?
    I've been debating on whether or not to add them to my 1866. I've got a 100 Yamaha that squats pretty good at first and I was hoping to get some more buoyancy back there.

6. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

yup they are the medium beavertails. i really like them. just added them this summer.

7. Patodor

Patodor Senior Refuge Member

My experience is that a full head above the blind sticks out more than you’d imagine. I don’t hunt in spots with much cover taller than me though. Anything you can do mute your profile will help.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

That blind must be hard to hide, do you have any pictures of it in place?
    Or is it an open water blind?

9. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Most times it is positioned on a sand bar or tight against a high bank with bar in front.

Attached Files:

callinfowl likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

The pic. of it near the sand bar is pretty much how our open water floating blinds are brushed. We use eucalyptus because it stays green for a long time and the leaves stay on even after they do brown up. And people don't mind you cutting then on their property because they grow like weeds out here.
    The bank set up hides a lot t better than I was expecting.
    Nice comfy blind set up.:tu:tu:tu