Is this a signal of changes to come?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by JP, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

2. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Got a buddy who worked in Nor-Cal at one of the refineries there. Was real interested in moving to OK for retirement, as he figured he could sell his 1600 sq ft bungalow for $600k+, move to Okie and buy a bigger/better/newer house for $250k-ish...

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I know a couple of union electricians that travel to the Bay Area to work projects solely for the fact their base wage is $55/hr and they are generally working 6/10’s or 7/12’s so they are absolutely killing the money out there. Then they come back here and take a voluntary layoff during hunting season. Not a bad gig if you ask me.

4. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Colrado has seen a huge uptick from CA the past 30 years,nothing new,but with the huge influx CO in many ways has become CA 2.0,median house right now is $500,000.00,and the state that once was proudly red has gone blue .

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The house that I sold when I moved from NorCal in the late 90s is close to San Francisco in central Marin County (good commute), 1900 square foot charming bungalow, built in 1906, three bedrooms but one bathroom. No garage and it is on a flag lot, meaning that you drive through the former front yard past someone else's newer house to get to your house. Gravel driveway. Just sold again for $1.5 million.

Bay Area house prices are out of control.

6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

7. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

I believe my buddy lived in Richmond...but I'm not certain.

Still, that's an incredible price tag for the house you're describing...my GF and I are looking at 20 acres NE of Tulsa with a decent 2800 sq ft house built in 1990, $320k. House needs a little updating, but nothing major...

Vahunter likes this.
  8. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Just remember that as they move from CA to other states, they bring their politics with them, and they vote.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The only problem I see is Californians taking their attitudes and political philosophies with them. I never understood that logic- “The place we live has become a crap hole, so let’s move somewhere nice and make it just like where we came from.”

Big problem. Where I live, it’s the folks fleeing the big midwestern cities (Chicago, Detroit, etc).

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

People migrating to other states isn’t really anything new. People migrated up here for decades when the big 3 was booming. Now people are following jobs and weather to wherever that might be. I’ve been running into more people from down south(especially Texas) that have moved up here because the oil industry crashed.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.