Is this anti-opiate pain pill prescription prohibition designed to kill the chronically ill?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Aug 31, 2017.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

The federal government has been a problem. Some suggest pharma is holding it back as well. A bit of a chicken and and an egg problem. There are no studies that show any medicinal value but it can't be studied because it is classified the same as heroin. However some of the more progressive states have gone around the federal government and legalized it for medicinal purposes and recreational purposes and there are studies being done on it now.....as long as Sessions keeps his nose out of it. Not all pot is the same. There are strains that have low THC and various cannabinoids. The right combinations could give pain relief without the side effects that you describe.

2. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I have such a high tolerance for pain morphine doesn't work. I was in restaurant fire several years ago and most of my clothes were burned off.

I was in critical condition in a burn ward at Hermann hospital.

When they came to debride my burns they started to give me morphine. I stopped them and they said you're going to need it.

They started scrubbing the dead skin off and I just watched. After a minute the nurse (?) said wait a minute and she left and came back with about five doctors who watched. They couldn't understand why even if I had taken the morphine I wasn't screaming my head off.

Numerous other times similar events.

Opiates don't stop the severe pain with me just reduce it to a tolerable level. I don't need the pain to stop just get a break from it.

However, you are very correct, some people simply need opiates to get them to work an eight hour day. Especially those with severe spinal injuries and/or disease.

That and doing the necessary Physical therapy to recover.

I'm sorry for those that abuse the OPs and die. But that's their choice in many cases. I agree with you if I am understanding your post correctly Drs should be able to prescribe FDA medicines as they feel appropriate. Are there abuses. Certainly, especially in the psychotropic drugs given to children; however where is the line drawn of control vs benefit and Government regulation?

Thanks for your thoughtful contributions.

Footnote: I believe marijuana should be generally approved. The Federal government should generally not be involved with trying to micro or macro manage our "personal" lives. That should be a State issue instead of a more intrusive Federal control issue.

My opinion if anyone should ask.

3. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Its such a difficult issue when we compare altered states for pain relief versus achieving short term pleasure. Quality of life is important, and (to me) way more important than essentially removing barriers to responsible behavior. I don't know the best practice for delivering pain relief while assuring that the mechanism isn't abused. One thing seems certain... the whole process is out of control and both sides (pain/pleasure) are not well served.

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I'm here to tell ya...after my second bout with opiod induced constipation that broke any leanings towards addiction. I thought I was giving birth to a full grown overweight lawyer.

Your comments give credence to what others have said. It is a failure of government, especially Federal, to think they can control the OP epidemic by laws..regulations and punishment. Most high school kids can't think past lunch anyway.

I too have had a former student from an incredible family succumb to drug addiction. In his case I believe he couldn't handle his being closet gay and turned to drugs to assuage his unwarranted guilt.

His parents had ample resources and I knew them and in no way were the ignorant ignoring parents. His Dad almost begged me to intercede on the boys behalf.

Anyway...I'm getting distracted because his loss still hurts.

That said...why should good people...people that want to function be blocked from having access to relief.

There is a commercial on TV about a guy whose boss would have to send him home from work because of his back pain. It is a commercial for a surgery related intervention.

And there it is...is dependence necessarily a bad thing?

Trust me...you can't pray the pain away and gutting it out is not an option for most.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Thing is prescription drug abuse is not a new problem, there's been abuse since the 1950's (or maybe even earlier) when doctors started prescribing "diet" pills for overweight suburban housewives. The problem in my mind is these days a problem that has gone on for decades and been handled by the proper authorities/channels in the past is now being passed on to the general population simply because those who did handle it in the past can't or won't today.
    Boils down to it's not our problem and the people who's problem it is need to get off their derrieres and do THEIR jobs!!

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Responded in line.

7. API

From personal experience...

Several years ago I was in a surgical prep area awaiting my turn. There were two others also awaiting surgery, all of us on gurneys side by side. The first in line was a 10 year old who had severely burned legs and was to have a debride procedure (not his first). Nevertheless, the kid was calm and tolerated the prep. The second was an older lady. The anesthesiologist approached her and said "you may feel some discomfort" as he injected something into her IV. The lady began to moan and almost levitated off the gurney. I'm next and the doctor gave me the same speech about "discomfort". I'm thinking "oh ****" as he stuck the needle into the IV shunt. I felt nothing and conked out almost immediately.

I guess the point is that a response to the drugs is highly personal. To this day, I pretty much pass on pain relief attempts, but really don't expect the same from others.

8. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately, I'm arguing against what they can now legally prescribe. Some in this thread gave examples of Drs prescribing large quantities of Opioids. They, imo, need to be regulated far more than they are. The FDA list could be a whole other conversation of gov't/lobbyist screw ups!

I do think in some limited cases (yours would appear to be such a case) Opioids may serve a purpose, but not at the wide scale level they are now prescribed at.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

:clap

@Bear; I had a root canal done a couple years back (my second ever). I walked out of the dental surgeons office with a prescription for 45 Percocet 7.5s. Over 40 of them went down the toilet. What Slimm and I are talking about, is the amount of drugs given out readily and steadily by docs for things such as that.

FWIW, my first one was done when I was in the army. I received 10 800mg Motrins.

10. API

The sewer carp must have loved it. :l