Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by 1Duck slayer, Mar 16, 2011.

1. M Shartle

M Shartle Senior Refuge Member

Maybe its time to go back to the 40D.

2. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Shot today at 26 yards with the EOS 1D Mark IIN and the EF 100-400L @ ISO 400, 1/320sec, f11, handheld, IS on with the 1.4X teleconverter.

[​IMG]

DIzzy

3. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

Nice shot Dizzy. Wish I had owl buddy around here. You get some great shots of them. I think people are miss understanding me on this 7D. I have seen great shots of taken with this camera. Not saying you can't get great shots with it. I am just trying to figure out if something is wrong with it or not. To many times it is out of focus which leads me to think it isn't right. I am headed back up to that same marsh tommorrow morning to play with the camera some more. Try for some snow geese too. Not going to be able to try an micro adjust the lens thoug before I go.

4. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Great shot Diz....We have about as many owls around here (during the daylight hours) as we do Labrador Ducks.

5. Mike Bons

Mike Bons Senior Refuge Member

Here is a link to an ISO test: http://vimeo.com/10473734 It shows that ISO 160 is better than 100, 320 better than 200, 640 is better than 500 etc.
    As for technique, I like to use AF point expansion, use the AF-ON button instead of holding the shutter button half way down, and I usually turn off IS on my 70-200 2.8.

6. Dizzy Duck

Those are "true' ISO's as far as the technical scale goes and yes, they do yield better results. I shoot ISO 320 a lot because it produces the grain (noise) of Kodak Vericolor 100 ASA film, one of my favorites. I am forever trying to take the "digital" out of Digital.

Dizzy

7. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Those tests surprised me. I don't understand why many of the highter ISO's performed better than the lower ones. I wonder if how the 5D mark II and the 1D mark IV ISO test results would compare to the 7D?

8. Airdale

Airdale Senior Refuge Member

Send it back, get a NIKON and be happy!!! :grvn :nutz

9. pmcc

pmcc Senior Refuge Member

this is something that needs to be looked at when purchasing or shooting with the 7d and 100-400... The 7d has a pixel size of 4.3 micron does the canon 100-400 have the lines of resolution to expose the sensor??? If the lens does not have the lines of resolution it will always look soft

10. Dizzy Duck

This has more to do with DOF, Any of Canon's "L" lenses are more than sufficient in Ln!

Dizzy