Islamorada: another out of stater fishing question

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by JohnBZ, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I have a trip booked to Islamorada at the beginning of may. My wife and I are planning on fishing a party boat for a 1/2 day or day and wanted to see if there was any recommendations on who to use. I also wanted to see if anybody could recommend a boat that would maybe do a combination of tarpon and patch reef, bridge or whatever to catch something tasty on the same trip out. My wife also wanted to do some snorkeling and to keep her i happy i will have to find a decent place to do that. Ive been looking around online and there are just so many options i don't know where to begin. any help would be appreciated.

2. BLKHEAD

BLKHEAD Elite Refuge Member

I have used Bud N Mary's, they will take you to do whatever you want. It's rite on the end of upper matacumbe on the left. caught a lot of fish on that party boat. make sure you are payed up earlu and get a spot in the back. If you can bring your own rod carry on, bring a ultra light with flourocarbon line on it. the yellow tail are an absolute riot on tiny tackle.

stop at the dive shop in largo and pick up a snorkeling set. there are pull offs all along the road you can stop and snorkel. Pennycamp park aswell.

3. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

4. JohnBZ

Could you define ultralight. Where I am from that means a rod and reel suitable for 2 -4 lb test. I have a 6 ft St Croix ultralight with a shimano stradic 1000 that I use for crappie and bluegill. I have a good number of rods and reels for everything from pan fish to musky and even have some surf gear I use for great lakes salmon. Just trying to equate this to freshwater so my simple mind can understand.

5. Capt Jeff Kraynik

8-12 is considered ultra-light down here.

When guiding in the Keys I prefer 15-20.

6. RockChalk

RockChalk Senior Refuge Member

This^^^

What is considered light tackle in Salt Water is no comparison to what freshwater fisherman are used to. Even Yellow Tailing takes heavier gear then what you might use for LMB or walleye fishing. Ton of good options at Bud&Mary's and Whale Harbor in Islamorada. If you don't get a set plan go and watch the charter guys come in. Sit in the bar and watch at about 3:00pm. Lot of fun! Talk to the charter guys yourself rather then going through a booking agent and use cash... good chance it's save you some money. Love it down there... enjoy!!!

7. JohnBZ

Fair enough. So would an 8'6" mh salmon rod with a 4000 size reel do the job for playing on shore or bridges or do I need something heavier. With braid we normally don't have too much of an issue with big Chinook salmon on that rig. That said although my wife may disagree I have no problem acquiring a new rod if need be.

8. Capt Jeff Kraynik

You're good

Just make sure u keep the reels washed down with soap & water after each use, the salt will eat them up!!!

9. JohnBZ

Any recommendations on a handful of lures and rigs to get me through a couple trips ?

10. Capt Jeff Kraynik

I throw a lot of diving plugs like the Yo-Zuri 3d minnows & the Slayer or DOA soft plastics.

Best get with one of the local tackle shops (not WWS/BPS) & ask what they've been hitting on.