Isn't it about time to start talking about ducks?

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by mr.smith, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mr.smith

mr.smith Senior Refuge Member

Isn't it about time to start talking about ducks? It's a little over two weeks out. How many are heading up to the mountain opener? (silly question, I know) I've already got my dekes restrung and cleaned up. I have a couple spots in mind for the opener but I need to do a little scouting before I decide which one to hunt. I can't wait.

My hopes and goals for the season are:

hopes:
    A banded bird
    a wood duck

Goals:
    at least three geese
    at least sixty ducks

Last year I finished with 1 honk and 43 ducks. Hopefully I can do better this year. Last year I didnt hunt much early in the season because of the heat and I didnt hunt much in January because of archery pig. This year I have a Dec whitetail hunt but it is a rifle hunt so hopefully it wont take too long away from duck hunting. I should definitely have more days on the water.

2. Dr.Quack

Dr.Quack Senior Refuge Member

Ducks :confused: ? Nobody talks ducks here. Mostly this pages is used for Ron to update us on new purchases and items he has for sale. Occasionly there will be a thread that is hijacked about him falling in the water, but for the most part this is considered www.ronslist.com .

3. Kurt

Kurt Senior Refuge Member

It is time to start talking ducks! I'll be out scouting on the weekend two weeks before the season. Its always great to get out there and see some birds before the season starts. Last year I picked (12ga wasn't so sure) what I thought was the perfect spot. We were all excited the night before season and couldn't wait to get out there the next morning. The next morning a couple came in, but they mostly all poured into Birdup's setup a hundred yards or so away from us! He was gracious enough to let us set up there the next morning. It was my stepson Zar's first duck hunt and he was able to shoot his first the second morning. He went through PLENTY of shells getting that one bird! He was proud and lots of pictures were taken. Thanks Kevin.

This year my goals are for Zar to continue to have a great time and enjoy the sport and people associated with it. Also would like him to get a duck or two most times we go out. We also have a new hunter this year, Bill, who is trying the sport out. I'd like him to get a bird or two as well. Bill is an accomplished hunter and we've elk hunted and fished with him in the past and know he will like duck hunting. He's really excited to go and we need to get him a bird or two opening weekend to keep his excitement up.

This year we're getting several of the wives and families to join us camping for opening weekend. We'll have great food and lot of fun around the campfire.

Hope you have a great season Mr. Smith and I hope to see you in the field!

Kurt

4. 12ga

12ga Banned

Hey you didn't finish my web page!:dv :dv Went to Albq, NM yesterday to deliver a boat I sold and looks like Vegas this weekend or Monday to pick up a new jon boat for my 32hp Pro-drive.:yes Dang all this driving is making me tired. I think I'll sleep til duck season after I get the new boat set up. I'd still rather buy a used jon if there's one to be had. PM me, cash in hand!! :grvn :tu

PS: My goal this year is NOT to fall in the water and actually hit a duck !

5. azfunn

azfunn Senior Refuge Member

I will be in Louiseville for the south zone opener so you guys have a great time. I'll be anxious to hear how everyone did on the opener. I'll be getting after them when I get back. It sounds like it should be a real good year.

6. Kurt

Dick,

I believe this is the second year in a row you will miss the opener. Don't you like hunting with us anymore?

Kurt

7. azfunn

Ya Kurt, that's it. I really don't like any of you.;) And the fact that our major convention happens to fall on opening weekend for the second year in a row..:mad:

8. socalducks

socalducks Senior Refuge Member

i'm there for the opener unless i get drawn at wister, then i'll be with my dad and nephew slaughtering spoonies. if work allows, i'll be scouting a couple times before the opener probably during the week. my daughter wants to go camping so maybe we'll head up and check out some spots. hope all is well with everyone.

9. Kurt

Matt,

Hope you can make the opener. It will be great having you back in the opening weekend gang! We'll just start excluding Dick if he doesn't want to play with us any more!

Matt and Dick, to follow Mr. Smith's original post, what are your goals this year?

Scott, you going to make it?

Kurt

10. azfunn

My #1 goal is to not make any hunts where Kurt is present so I don't have to be harrassed.:rolleyes:

As for duck goals, my goal is to make as many hunts as possible and have a good time on each one. ie: see goal #1

Gee, I hope Kurt doesn't take this personal.:l