It appears the Senate just passed a two year budget for the USA.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Man...Trump compromises and works with Congress instead of trying to be a 'My way all the way the only way.' like some Presidents and Congressional parties have done and half-the country loses their damn minds on both sides of the, what was growing, party divide.

Leadership isn't dictatorship.

2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I know enough about politics to realize that I don't have representation that will take anything I say in this regard seriously. They are all totally whacked out liberal loonies.
    Sure seems like there are plenty of loud mouth swampers criticizing Rand and the Freedom Caucus for daring to be the voice of restraint, though. Too easy to go along and get along when you're team is "winning."

Ducker 4 Ever and Luigi Daniele like this.
  3. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Being critical of Coattails is in regards to people thinking he cares. He cares about getting headlines nothing more than that.
    You either do not get it, or dont want to.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Help me get it Ron. Back this up. He has no support, because no one on either side is willing to support going the other direction on spending. You were lied to. They ran on controlling spending. They ran on being fiscally conservative. Instead, we get this. And you are eating it up like a win.

And for what? We’re doing the same thing we did before. Recession 2023, here we come!

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Or, I don't see it that way. He's one of the few that does care. Go along to get along is the sign of not caring.

6. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I know it's CNN but this is spot on, IMO.

(CNN)When Rand Paul took control of the Senate floor just before 6 p.m. Eastern, virtually every one of his Republican colleagues grimaced. Five years ago, they would have cheered him.

Paul's speech, which slowed attempts to pass a massive budget deal before the government shuts down at midnight, was a savaging of his party -- a party that appears to have turned 180 degrees from the deficit hawks of the mid 2010s who insisted that government spending was ballooning out of control and was crippling the country.

"When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party," Paul said at one point. "But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

He is 100% right.

The simple fact is that Republicans in the Obama era defined themselves primarily as committed to reducing government spending and shrinking the nation's debt. The ur-document of that age was Paul Ryan's budget, in which he proudly touted the need to confront entitlement spending and make the hard cuts necessary to keep the country solvent for the foreseeable future.

"Our debt is a threat to this country," Ryan said in a 2013 speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "We have to tackle this problem before it tackles us."

He was far from alone. Republicans insisted that any spending legislation -- even for disaster relief -- be paid for with budget offsets. Every major Republican leader talked about debt and deficit relentlessly.

That focus on deficit reduction and spending restraint bled into the 2016 primary as the top tier candidates -- including Paul -- championed it. One candidate, however, did not.

That candidate was Donald Trump, the self-proclaimed "king of debt." Trump showed little care or concern for the issue that had animated the party he was running to lead.

So cavalier was Trump about the deficit that Mitt Romney, the party's 2012 presidential nominee, lambasted him for it in a speech aimed at convincing Republicans to drop Trump.

"His tax plan in combination with his refusal to reform entitlements and honestly address spending would balloon the deficit and the national debt," said Romney.

And then Trump won. Not just the Republican primary, but the election. And suddenly his priorities -- immigration, trade protectionism and a tax cut -- became the party's principles. Curtailing spending and reducing debt went out the window -- or at least way down the list of what the GOP cared about. And Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and almost the entire rest of the Republican Party -- sans Paul and a handful of House conservatives -- went along for the ride.

Which is how it came to pass that just before 6 p.m. Thursday, McConnell was on the Senate floor pleading with his home-state colleague to drop his push for a vote on an amendment that would maintain the current budget caps. Paul's issue was a simple one: A two-year spending bill that would increase the federal deficit by more than $300 billion was being rammed through at the last minute -- and without any amendments being offered.

And he's right about that too.

The natural result of our current style of governing -- lurching from crisis to crisis -- is this sort of showdown. Paul is right that it is absolutely ridiculous that a near-700-page piece of legislation that senators got their hands on around midnight Wednesday should be passed by midnight Thursday.

And yet, when you are faced with the possibility of a second government shutdown in the space of 17 days, passing this sort of legislation -- whether or not it represents a massive U-turn on the very priorities your party touted just a few years ago -- becomes your only option.

Which makes Paul either a principled hero or a misguided Don Quixote -- depending on where you stand.

"The reason I'm here tonight is to put people on the spot," Paul said. "I want people to feel uncomfortable. I want them to have to answer people at home who said, 'How come you were against President Obama's deficits, and then how come you're for Republican deficits?' "

Mission accomplished.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/08/politics/rand-paul-analysis/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

The_Duck_Master, stump and hobbydog like this.
  7. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

But what about the memo....look, over there, another memo.

8. Ron Gilmore

Stevena how do really believe them when they told you they were going to reduce spending I don't I never have do I think that there can be some physical restraints put in place that would slow spending yeah I think that's possible fact is I've seen some of it
    Not hardly and I don't see this as a win. First off, REP currently in leadership have been lying to their voters for how many years????? Now suddenly you are surprised??

So understand this Stevena, Coattail Randi is not and never will be part of a solution he is part of the cause! For any real fiscal change to take place a real case needs to be made to the people and as I told Duck support for it needs to come just like it did in opposition of the Gang of 8 immigration plan. You get your President on board and let him use his podium to sell it as well. Next up is the question you have to ask is was and is this a deal breaker for you? Does it mean you will sit home and allow a DEM to take the seat who is likely to advocate increased spending as well as increases in taxes etc....... Next ask how much more spending and debt would have occurred if the House and Senate was Dem controlled especially with a filibuster proof numbers!

See the quandary that we face?? So no it is not a win, but Coattails tirade at the end when it wouldn't matter is simply grandstanding and headline seeking and as predicted he got what he sought. CNN and MSNBC reporting on him. Maybe he wont finish dead last in Iowa this time or maybe he does.

Just to be clear my calling out Coattail has absolutely nothing to do with support of this budget deal. Far from it!

9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

This post is so awesome it clearly shows the people who elect spenders :)

spend Ronnie spend

10. Ron Gilmore

You still dont get it and likely nevervwill. Rand is worthless and is not a fiscal hawk. Just a crowicing at road kill.
    I don' like the spending railed against from GW to Obama and current batch. But you dont see or hear anyone including Coattails speaking and showing what is coming. So they are going to respond to a majority not a silent minority who gets weak knees when they hear false platitudes.