It happen again!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Manoduk, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Well, here we set in Northwest Louisiana and the best front of the yr rolls thru and we are shut down for the first two weeks of December. It happens year after year. While we've been open the birds have been setting in the "baited private land 10 miles north of Caddo Parish. Arkansas opens on Thursday. Is it just me or others confused why our season would be open when Arkansas is closed. Opening a week before is great and Hunting opening week of Ark is pretty good but once they shut down so do the birds. We really need someone who has a little common sense setting the dates. I understand there is a great debate on early vs late season, however can anyone argue with the idea that Hunting pressure is one of the primary cause of bird movement. Does it not make sense that splitting the seasons 2 weeks in December is a dumb idea. Why not 2 3 day splits. Guys I'm sorry but this is all about what is best for the powers to be and not the poor guy that can't afford to hunt on a high dollar lease. It is obvious the powers to be could care less about hunters like me who has hunted over 60 yrs. Wake up

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

We’re open from Oct 14 straight thru Jan 28. It’s horrible. Be thankful you are closed most of that time.

I spend way too much on shotgun shells. Plus, I have to eat 107 days worth of duck. Terrible

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, that is pretty easy to argue. Weather, and access to food, are the primary causes of bird movement.

darkvibe and Montauker like this.
  4. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

We getting screwed with a 2 week closure in NC as well. Granted, December typically is slow here, but big cold fronts are when I kill most of my ducks.
    I don't pound the pavement until we have weather, and this time I just gotta sit back and let'em pass thru.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

We are in the same predicament (Somewhat) as the northern part of the state hasn't froze up yet ! So with plenty of feed and open water the migration
    kinda hangs there until the birds start filtering out from pressure . You commits enforced along with a local Waterfowl Organization , might be a better way
    for your states DNR to respond to your thoughts ?

6. Manoduk

7. Manoduk

Wow, thank you for that valuable information. After 60 yrs in s duck blind, 45 to 50 days a yr I never knew that waterfowl were subject to the weather. I bet agriculture practice have had an influence also. Give me a break!

hobbydog likes this.
  8. Manoduk

9. Manoduk

Let me explain it this way. In Louisiana normally the best month for spawning bass is in March, however if you could just fish 2 months in a yr some would choose February and March others March and April but most would choose March. In Louisiana we get 60 days and the debate for yrs has been on when to open and when to close the season, but most would agree that December is the middle of the migration.

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Ducks move south for about 120 days, you get 60, deal with it (unless you're in the Pacific and then you just get all of those days).