It happen again!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Manoduk, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

What does length of season have to do with the point Im trying to make and how many times have you hunted in Northwest La. I would never question you regarding issues regarding your state. Actually I didn't intend for this post to be posted on this fourm. Thanks for your opinion everyone has one!

2. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Do you have data to support this?

3. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

Get you some of that "baited" private land....We've killed birds all season long even in the 60 degree temps last couple weeks.....

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I don't care where you are, the premise is the same. Ducks migrate and every state on this forum complains that their season doesn't align correctly with holidays, deer season, the migration, weather, or the states above or below them.

You posted an opinion on the main forum. Assuming you welcomed responses from others, I put up two facts about length of migration period and duck season. Season dates can be influenced, do your homework, get involved, learn how to work with others, and you may actually influence future dates.

Or, just continue to spout off and get frustrated by responses that don't see eye to eye with you.

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Can I come spend the rest of the season with you?

6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Yep.
    I lived in Michigan, either opened or closed too early. Depends on who you asked. Lived in SC, they wish the season went into February.
    Only place that didn’t complain much is every West Coast state. Lived in all them(except Hawaii).
    NM didn’t complain much. They actually had it good. Half the state in Pac flyway, other central.
    Michigan does it good. 3 openers. If you’re willing to travel, you can really extend the season, or open it sooner.
    California really has a ton of birds, I think the biggest complaint I hear is weather and Nov doldrums.
    Washington and Oregon both suck. Season too long, we flood all the time.

Back to influencing season. When I moved to SC, they only had a 50 day season. Bunch of guys sitting around complaining had an idea. Let’s go to one of those public waterfowl meeting and voice our displeasure with losing 10 days. I drove 2.5 hours.
    Next year. 60 day season.
    Seems like the only reason they kept it at 50 was no one complained to the DNR.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you're unhappy with season structure, and your only forum (literally) through which to express that opinion is the 'Fuge, that right there is your mistake.

Do you go to your scheduled public DNR or F&G meetings? Many states (Iowa is one) even offer remote ICN meeting satellite sites for those who can't or don't want to attend in person.

Have you tried talking to your waterfowl biologist? Any local groups or chapters that actually hold some pull? If you really do have a legitimate beef odds are you aren't the only one who feels that way. Try finding some like minds and spitball a little bit.

We now have 3 zones here, north, south and Mo River, and the last one is by and large the work of one completely and totally relentless guy.

Pretty pointless for us on the east side, I like to shoot ducks but I'm not gonna drive 4 hours each way to do so. I like shooting ducks but I hate working hard even more so that cancels it out. Mo River zone can be great at times but getting there is probably the most boring drive ever save for Nebraska and its a desolate God forsaken culturally barren wasteland, so if the ducks aren't cooperating there is literally nothing else to do. Unless you like sitting in crappy diners full of factory workers still bitching about how Obama wasn't born here and kids who dye their hair weird colors (Western Iowa BLOWS).

But, I'm not too salty about it because I haven't attended an IDNR public forum, even by ICN, in years. Plus every year guys in the north zone get shafted at least 10 times as much as I do so by comparison I have it okay.

I'd end by saying don't underestimate the power of a few guys totally dedicated to being generally annoying. Bug enough people consistently and get a few buddies in on it with you and chances are you'll be gifted at least a portion of what you originally seek.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Am I the only one that's finding this thread rather ironic? Most of this board's posts are folks bitching about one thing or another, but for whatever reason this is off limits if you're not willing to become a lobbyist. :l

hobbydog likes this.
  9. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

I've recently learned that bitching is required! :)

Results from large-scale hunter-opinion surveys in 2005, 2010, and 2015 in Louisiana consistently show that hunters who hunt the most, kill the most, and buy a license every single year are the LEAST satisfied. It's opposite of nearly every successful business model. My social-science colleagues have concluded that being dissatisfied with their hunting, and bitching about it, must be necessary to retain a waterfowl hunter.

hobbydog and Fowler267 like this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

About like War I always heard that if Soldiers are not bitching; they ain't happy...