It happen again!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Manoduk, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Oh and hunting pressure is the biggest influence in my area. Don't believe it? Whatch how crowded the birds are on refuges until the season closes. Within a week they are spread out everywhere!

hobbydog likes this.
  2. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

I rest my case!

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm a little confused. First you say..
    Then you agree with....
    Seems pressure isn't the factor for them. Food and open water seems to be the key.

4. Manoduk

. I really don't see it as bitching as much as expressing ones opinion based on his experience. Yes we have had regional meetings and yes people who hunt in those regions express there opinions. Yes the meetings get very verbal. Problem is that the meetings are a waste of time. Believe me in Louisiana politics is king and those who work for the State are at the mercy of the politicians. They are controlled by the big donors. Steel 3 is the head of the Waterfowl Operations in Louisiana and while he and I agree on very little he is in a difficult position. It would be nice to let the public land hunters have a seat at the table. Just saying!

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

However you want to term it, my observation still applies. :D

But I feel your pain; I'm just down the road to the east of ya.

6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

My thought is while it doesnt do anything, bitching about the stuff you cant change (taxes, the car buying experience, college tuition, etc) is at least extremely cathartic especially when you have company so you might as well have at it.

Bitching about stuff you CAN change (potentially new zone or new season structure) seems a bit pointless. Put the energy toward trying to make the change. But if you attend meetings, make phone calls, and rally the troops only to fall flat, then bitch away after.

7. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

All of our public lands are full of what you call "bait" this year too....

8. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

Public lands hunters have the same seat at the table as any other hunters. No-one has any more or less opportunity to express their opinion via formalized hunter opinion surveys, public meetings, or direct contact with Commission members. Recommendations (zones, season dates, bag-limit options, etc.) from LDWF have been consistent with that public opinion and we have been completely transparent with our survey/public meeting results.

But sometimes, hunter opinion doesn't matter ...... like when it violates federal law or biological integrity. For example, we can not extend our season into February, period, and strong hunter opinion in support of that is not relevant. Second, sometimes our Governor-appointed Commission decides against our recommendations despite clear hunter-opinion in favor, with our current white-fronted goose season length and bag limit the most recent example. Neither of those mean you have lost a seat at the table, or you don't have an opportunity to express an opinion, or you haven't been listened to ..... it means your preferred option was not selected.

There has been a split in the duck season in Louisiana in early-December for at least 30 years. We shortened it to 5 days a few seasons back, and got hammered by public opinion in NW Louisiana. I asked about a straight season at Catahoula Lake, a well-known early-season hotspot that floods out later in the season, and the hunter opinion was overwhelmingly against it. So we've heard you with regard to splits.

9. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Duckhunters never happy with the weather.

10. Manoduk

Steel, like I said you may be in a no win situation. I assure you that I understand the law, I was in it for nearly 40yrs. I also know that sometimes it is a matter of ones interpretation. That's why we have the Supreme Court. Obviously one would be a fool to violate a law for the sake of killing a duck, however as we both know they are out there among us. I feel confident that I hear the opinions of a very large segment of hunters in my area, many of them hunted with me when they were kids. What you say is the majority opinion is not what I hear. I responded to several of the so called survey many yrs ago(remember the one that was to identify which flyway the birds in our region were in) Lot of effort on our part and what we knew was proven but nothing changed. Yes we may be allowed in the room but our opinion carries very little weight. The survey are only as good as those who participate and how accurate the data is that they provide. Unfortunately, many of those think it's a joke and I'm afraid respond with bogus data, and that hurts the good work you are attempting. You know those who really control the commission. We really don't even have a representative on the commission. If we got one it would be one of those who have the private refuge and big donor to Politicians and DU. Sorry, but that's just the way we see it. Well, guess we've beat this dead horse enough, AGAIN. I'm done. Hope you and yours have a VERY Merry CHRISTMAS

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017