It was supposed to be HIS year...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by flyfishz, Dec 5, 2018.

1. flyfishz

flyfishz Refuge Member

Cooper has completed all his training with bad *** flying colors... charges hard, willing to run through a wall if need be. As a 2 year old he has hit stride and become the dog we all hope to have at least once our lives.

After noticing some labored breathing after a retreive Saturday i was a bit surprised. This is a dog that can run for 30 minutes and not be breathing hard... i figured better get it checked out.

Left lung collapsed full of fluid and pus mass... Foxtail inside the lung. Apprently been there over a month. No real symptoms

At the hopital now prepping for surgery.

He deserved a better season cooper 1.jpg cooper 2.jpeg

Norcal Ducker likes this.
  2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to hear that. That sucks. I am dealing with some serious lab issues myself on my 9 year old. Looks like she will have to retire. :cry

3. Duck Seeker

Duck Seeker Senior Refuge Member

Get well soon, Cooper!

4. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I feel your pain. At least it’s something he can recover from. My dog Swampy is a Slider pup. He was destined for great things. All the signs pointing to this being his breakout season. In August tragedy struck and he lost his right eye. He can still hunt. And he’s better than most. But sadly greatness is no longer in the cards for him. He is no longer the outstanding marker he once was.
    I hope your pup recovers fully and quickly. Looks like a nice dog. Love his body type. He’s beautiful!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Ouch. Fingers crossed for Cooper.

6. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

Great looking dog, hope he bounces back quick.

7. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Wow, what a bummer, but like Ben said "at least he will recover".
    Best of luck with him, he's a beautiful pup.

8. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Sending some prayers

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

I had a yellow dog named Cooper that had a similar issue. He had an abscess from a foxtail that grew so large it pressed against his colon and his spine and he was essentially paralyzed. I carried him into the vets office and the abscess was discovered.

He was scheduled for surgery on a Tuesday, and Monday night the abscess ruptured filling his body cavity with puss. He was given a 60% chance at making it through surgery. He survived the surgery and spent a week at the vets office with a drain hose in his abdomen and his body cavity was flushed every day. Long story short, he beat the odds, and was back in the field picking up birds three weeks later.

I'm hoping for the best with Coopers recovery. I know our situations are different, but I wouldn't close the door on his season quite yet.

green with ring likes this.
  10. tjhunts

tjhunts Refuge Member

Best of luck! Beautiful dog!!